Sign in to follow this  
Nick M

RXP GNS 530W V2: "G530SIM.exe has stopped working"

Hello Jean-Luc,

I bought the GNS 530W V2 yesterday and early signs were encouraging with (mostly) successful integration into the A2A products I own (in both P3Dv4 and FSX-SE). After a bit of testing, I began to experiment with changes in the configuration panel such as enabling the Ryan TCAD.

However, at some stage when testing the TCAD, my system locked-up and a force restart was necessary. Since this point, when accepting the "instrument panel self-test" screen with the "ENT" button, the following error message will always appear (image). Full text as follows.

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
    Application Name:    G530SIM.exe
    Application Version:    0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp:    4bff0a69
    Fault Module Name:    cdp_mfd_sim.dll
    Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp:    4bff0a3d
    Exception Code:    c0000090
    Exception Offset:    0002b250
    OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID:    2057
    Additional Information 1:    0a9e
    Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3:    0a9e
    Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I should also add that the error occurs in any default aircraft, so this is not something specific to the A2A add-ons. I have also made sure that in all cases, the "RealityXP.GNS.ini" has been deleted and regenerated so that all settings are default.

I understand the following information is required for troubleshooting:

"rxpGnsSim.dll.log" content:

17/08/31 09:33:54.479 05648 -    ] # rxpGnsSim64.dll version 2.3.0.0

"rxpGNS2.gau.log" content:

17/08/31 09:33:51.710 05648 -    ] # rxpGNS2.dll version 2.3.0.0
    17/08/31 09:33:51.711 05648 INFO ] 

(No sign of "rxpGnsSim.dll.log" in "My Documents", even after adding "LogTrainer = 1" to the "[GNS_530_1]" section of the "RealityXP.GNS.ini" in the "aircraft" folder. Is this because the application is crashing before it can write to the log?)

One observation which may be helpful is that where I've added two installations of the GNS 530 to a panel, GNS 530 #2 will still apparently operate normally: it's only the GNS 530 #1 which crashes after the self-test. During the self-test, CDI and glideslope needle indications are normal.

If it's any help, basic system specs are Win7 Pro, i72600k @ 4.53 GHz and NVIDIA GTX970. FSX-SE and P3Dv4.

Hope that info is helpful in diagnosing the issue as I can't use the product as it stands.

Thanks

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Apologies: I realise I made somewhat contradictory statements above regarding the log files. It's apparently the "rxpGNS2_menu.dll.log" which isn't present. Now I check again after adding the "LogTrainer = 1" line, the "rxpGnsSim.dll.log" has an added entry as follows which is hopefully the clue you'll need! 

17/08/31 10:13:10.932 05648 -    ] # rxpGnsSim64.dll version 2.3.0.0
    17/08/31 10:13:14.152 03824 INFO ] GTN: 865113343 001f  -44 .\hwm_voice.c(704): Region read error on audio header data

Thanks,

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Thank you for the details report Nick, this is exactly the kind of details which we'd prefer to always get, and as a matter of fact, it helps us pinpoint the exact problem!

Here's what to do to solve this now:

1) open "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GNS Trainer Data\GNS" in an explorer window

2) find sys_nand# files, with # standing for 'a' to 'd' (530_1,530_2,430_1,430_2)

3) delete the one for the offending GNS (which seems to be 530_1 i.e. "sys_nanda")

These are the files which contains each GNS settings (non volatile memory). Obviously deleting such file will make you loose your settings for this device (including flight plans and user wpts). 

Otherwise, we'll include a fix in the next build which we are building right now along with the few other fixes reported so far, which will prevent this to happening. 

For more details: this is a problem which existed in the previous trainer, for which we have  a solution, and we haven't implemented this trainer patch in this version because it has never failed so far (8 months of X-Plane customers flights with no issue at least), well, until today!

• Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks for the quick reply Jean-Luc. The solution worked perfectly! :smile:

I suspected there must be a directory somewhere storing some persistent settings. I had a look some of the hidden folders such as "AppData\Roaming" but forgot about the Program Data directory.

I might have some more questions about integration with the A2A fleet (specifically their KAP 140 autopilot simulation) but I'll save them for another thread. However, is it normal that the "power on" knob on the GTN 530 bezel is inoperable?

Thanks again,

Nick

• Upvote 1

Nick M - A2A Simulations

7 minutes ago, Nick M said:

is it normal that the "power on" knob on the GTN 530 bezel is inoperable?

Yes it is for now. In our X-Plane version, this properly controls the COM volume (and the knob below controls the NAV volume). However, there is no such facility in the P3D/FSX SDK. Back in FS9, we've implemented these knobs in hacking the FS9 process in order to effectively control the sound mixer, but this is not portable.

We might re-instate at least power on/off again but for now (the feature is actually implemented internally), but we prefer waiting a little bit more in order to make sure everything else is stable enough before.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Okay - that's understood. Thanks for the explanation.

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations