Sign in to follow this  
1Alen

PC build for oltimum performance

Hello,

Back in the day I was into FSX. It has been about 10 years and I am getting into it again as my wife demands I get a hobby. 

I am not a "computer nerd" but know some basics (very basics). I was thinking of building my own (never done that before) but then I found the following on amazon and figure it might be a good deal. I plan on playing fsx and maybe some other games that are graphics card intensive (I know fsx is mostly a procesor reliant game). Other than that I might do some writing on it but not really anything else.

1. Is this a good deal compared to what I could get if I get all the party myself and put it together

2. Will this run FSX very well? I want a rig that is "not average" and that can really do some magic in the fsx world, will this be it? 

Thanks for the help! The amazon link is  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XGXDXZF/ref=mp_s_a_1_47?ie=UTF8&qid=1504202961&sr=8-47&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gaming+desktop&dpPl=1&dpID=51xewX-vifL&ref=plSrch

I looked it all up by component at New Egg.  It added up to be about the same as if you built a low to medium quality rig with the same capability.  The problem with buying the pre-built machine is you don't know the quality level of the components other than the CPU.  What make and model is the motherboard, ASUS or Bob's motherboard shop?  Who made the video card, EVGA or Suzy's video card boutique?  The SSD, Samsung or Joe's New Age SSD and Marijuana shop?  The keyboard, Logitech or the local Vocational Tech school? 

I built my own.  I know each and every component and its origin.  If you want to plug-in and play immediately, maybe something like this is the way to go.  You might want to shop around at some highly respected computer houses such as New Egg or Tiger Direct before settling.  I have personally never heard of Cyberpower.  Maybe they're OK, I've just don't know anything about them.   

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019096 600030537 601286690 601272822&IsNodeId=1

The specs for the rig listed are pretty good...very good in fact.  The ad doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the components.

You will probably want a larger SSD however.   

This is a nice computer at a good price (Cyberpower builds good systems... not great, but good) but I agree that there isn't enough info about the components.  The biggest weakness I see is the memory... DDR4 2400, someone posted at Amazon.  This is a fast computer but that memory is really just "standard".  This system needs something on the order of 3200-3600 speed memory (depending upon how much the computer is overclocked).

Having said all that, this is simply not the time to be buying/building a high perf computer.  In the next few weeks the Coffee Lake CPU's will be released, and they are certainly worth waiting for (unlike most Intel releases during the past 5 years).  The i7 8700K will be a bit slower out of the gate (3.8Ghz vs 4.2Ghz for the 7700k) but should still clock up to 4.6 - 5.0Ghz.  The biggest difference is that the 8700K is 6cores/12threads whereas the 7700K is 4cores/8threads.  As well, the 8700K has 12MB of L3 cache, the 7700K has 8MB.  The 8700K is just a few dollars more than its predecessor (thanks AMD for finally presenting some sort of competition).  Clearly, the 8700K offers greater bang for the buck and is worth waiting for this close to release date.

Give some more thought to building your own.  Price difference won't be that great but you'll know exactly what is in your own system and maintaining it will be easier for you as well.

Good luck,

Greg

Thank youn guys very much for helping out a stranger by writing these long messages. 

So in your experience, what build for about 23-2400$ (US) would look good? I never build ky own PC but im a fairly intelligent person so im sure I will be fine. What would you guys put together with that budget? Monitor and everythingg else is seperate so im not including that cost in the budget. In addition to fsx I will also play other games as well so a top of the line graphics card is also essential.