richjb2

4096 Textures without a 4096 resolution monitor

Hi all,

My LCD monitor is rather old and I know it does have 4096 resolution.  With this capability, does it do any good to select 4096 texture resolution in P3Dv4 or any add-on? 

I'm trying to optimize performance with P3Dv4 that keep frame rates > 20 in the most demanding situations.

Thanks!

Rich Boll

Wichita, KS 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Rich,

Texture resolution is a different concept from screen resolution. I suppose you wanted to say that your monitor does not have 4096 resolution. Even 4K monitors do not have a 4096 resolution: their resolution is 3840 x 2160. 

The texture resolution refers to the resolution of the texture sheets used to paint aircraft and the landscape. You can use a higher texture resolution with a low resolution monitor, but you would have to zoom in a lot, or be very close to an object using such a high resolution texture, to see any difference. 

If you want to optimize performance, stick to lower resolution textures.

Maarten

• Upvote 2

My LCD monitor is about eight years old, no problem with high res textures.  It's only a VGA monitor so I had to buy a converter cable for use with my current graphics card.  I really can't discern a difference, no lag on screen refreshes.

John

11 hours ago, mawibo said:

Hi Rich,

Texture resolution is a different concept from screen resolution. I suppose you wanted to say that your monitor does not have 4096 resolution. Even 4K monitors do not have a 4096 resolution: their resolution is 3840 x 2160. 

The texture resolution refers to the resolution of the texture sheets used to paint aircraft and the landscape. You can use a higher texture resolution with a low resolution monitor, but you would have to zoom in a lot, or be very close to an object using such a high resolution texture, to see any difference. 

If you want to optimize performance, stick to lower resolution textures.

Maarten

I was wondering about that myself. Thanks for the explanation.  :biggrin:

Bill