Sign in to follow this  
joefremont

Around the world in 175 days part 28! Budapest and Vienna

July 13, 1924:  They left Bucharest at dawn and headed west to the Danube River, through the Transylvanian Alps to Belgrade Yugoslavia.  The weather had been remarkably good and the aircraft well so with plenty of fuel remaining they flew over the airport where the diplomatic officials were waiting and continued to Budapest Hungary (Smith later sent an apology).  They landed at Maryasfold aerodrome after nearly 7 hours of flying where a small crowd was waiting to greet them, there had been a large crowd but a rumor went around saying the flyers were not coming.  But they were welcomed by the diplomats who were there, a few speeches were given and they were invited to a nearby hanger where lunch was provided.

September 16, 2017: The aircraft I will use next is the Antonov An-2, aka "Annushka". The AN-2 is a Soviet built single-engine biplane utility/agricultural aircraft that first flew in 1946.  Its remarkable durability, high lifting power, and ability to take off and land from poor runways have given it a long service life. Produced up to 2001 and remains in service with operators around the world, over 18000 were built.  The model I am using today I was made by SibWings and is very nice but it its not P3Dv4 compatible.  Weather started off good, clear with 6 knot winds and a temperature of 22C.   I flew west till I intercepted the Danube and followed it through the mountains, then north to Budapest where the weather had turned to thunder storms, but I landed safely at Tököl Airport after 4.1 hours of flying.

Here are the images:

wc.5.2.1.jpg
Ready to go.

wc.5.2.2.jpg
Climbing out of Bucharest.

wc.5.2.3.jpg
Glamour Shots.

wc.5.2.4.jpg
Following the Danube.

wc.5.2.5.jpg
Into Hungary.

wc.5.2.6.jpg
Good weather still.

wc.5.2.7.jpg
Desination in site.

wc.5.2.8.jpg
Landed.

July 13, 1924:   After lunch they were back in there planes and on their way to Vienna Austria, arriving two hours later and were greeted by a huge crowd, which was mostly made up of American Tourists, all of which seemed to have new Kodak cameras and wanting to get pictures of the flyers and there craft. It took until almost dusk to finish working on there planes, camera’s snapping the whole time, they were then taking on a quick tour of the city and then to the luxurious Imperial Hotel, which they were told had once been the home of the prince of Wittenberg until he had lost it in a game of cards.

September 16, 2017: For the next leg I will be using the de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk.  Designed by de Havilland Canada in 1946 to replace the Tiger Moth.  It was used as a basic trainer by the RAF and RCAF and many others, the last was retired in 1996, over 1200 were made and many are still used by civilian operators.  The aircraft I used was made by JustFlight and is nice.  By the time I finished my real world tasks the weather had cleared and was now just broken clouds at 5000 feet with 5 knot winds and a temperature of 16.1C.  The flight to Vienna was very easy even thought he clouds get a bit thicker and  I had to stay below 2000 feet to keep the ground in site. The 108 mile flight to the Vienna International Airport took 52 minutes.

Here are the images:

wc.5.3.1.jpg
Ready to go again.

wc.5.3.2.jpg
Climbing out of Budapest.

wc.5.3.3.jpg
Glamour shots!

wc.5.3.4.jpg
Selfie!

wc.5.3.5.jpg
Fall colours already.

wc.5.3.6.jpg
Lots of fall colors.

wc.5.3.7.jpg
Our destination.

wc.5.3.8.jpg
Secured.

Thanks for reading,
ATB

• Upvote 3

Flyers now in western Europe....love the details!

HLJAMES

Great Estern European landscape...

... and I'm happy to see that you use a repaint for "Deutsche Lufthansa" from East Germany, that is/was my native country.

Regards,

Harald

• Upvote 1

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

7 hours ago, HaraldG said:

Great Estern European landscape...

... and I'm happy to see that you use a repaint for "Deutsche Lufthansa" from East Germany, that is/was my native country.

Regards,

Harald

Always glad to have a happy reader!  I though that paint was more appropriate that the Russian colors, not quite so military.