Sign in to follow this  
capt_blackwood

FS2004 alongside FSX:SE with SSTSIM

So I recently discovered that Flight1 Updated their wrappers and they work with Windows 10 now. I still have my copy of FS2004 floating around and am considering installing it on the same computer FSX:SE resides on. Can this become a problem? I made somewhat of an attempt two weeks ago, but had to reinstall all my FS Stuff because in FS2004 my Shift key started being ignored in all my aircraft. 

If anybody has any thoughts on the cause, solution, or tips etc, I'd appreciate them. Thanks lads.

capt_blackwood,

I do not see any harm in having the two on the same computer.  

If at all possible, I would be putting them on seperate drives though. ie D  drive and E drive, preferably on Solid State Drives. If that is not possible, I would very much consider partitioning current drives.  All this is not, however, necessary. I think they would be fine on the one large drive,  I have FS2004 on an SSD and it currently occupies about 90Gigabytes. I would think FSX-SE fully added-on will probably exceed that by a fair margin.

Keyboard.

1.  Are all your aircraft in BOTH sims ignoring the shift key?

2. Can you create a text document and see if the shift key works in that. document.

If both the above scenerios have a common problem and all your aircraft are ignoring the shift key, I think I would suspect the keyboard in the first instance. and work from there.  I would think it fairly easy to borrow a keyboard to sort that out very quickly. If your problem continues with a borrowed or new keyboard, I would try re-assigning your flight sim commands that are affected.
If the Shift key works in the text document and also in your FSX-SE, I believe you have isolated the problem. to FS2004.

How you fix that though is probably beyond me. The only thing I can think of is another re-install.  If that is going to be your chosen route, I would then seriously ... very seriously, recommend the new SSD and start it all as a clean install.

I have no idea what your computer specifications are but if you are going to invest in new hardware I would, again, seriously consider going the P3Dv4 route and dropping the FSX-SE, which like FSX and Fs2004 has been seriously outdated by the advent of 64bit. Having said that, I am a dyed in the wool FS2004 proponent despite having ALL of the other sims. That is a personal preference driven by performance issues with 6 monitors and my current outdated computer specs. I have no idea what your system is like and whether it will drive the new sims satisfactorily. I do believe however, that if it can run FSX, FSX-SE satisfactorily, then it will certainly run a little better with a 64bit platform.

I hope this has been of some hope and/or help to you.

Cheers

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

48 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

capt_blackwood,

I do not see any harm in having the two on the same computer.  

If at all possible, I would be putting them on seperate drives though. ie D  drive and E drive, preferably on Solid State Drives. If that is not possible, I would very much consider partitioning current drives.  All this is not, however, necessary. I think they would be fine on the one large drive,  I have FS2004 on an SSD and it currently occupies about 90Gigabytes. I would think FSX-SE fully added-on will probably exceed that by a fair margin.

Keyboard.

1.  Are all your aircraft in BOTH sims ignoring the shift key?

2. Can you create a text document and see if the shift key works in that. document.

If both the above scenerios have a common problem and all your aircraft are ignoring the shift key, I think I would suspect the keyboard in the first instance. and work from there.  I would think it fairly easy to borrow a keyboard to sort that out very quickly. If your problem continues with a borrowed or new keyboard, I would try re-assigning your flight sim commands that are affected.
If the Shift key works in the text document and also in your FSX-SE, I believe you have isolated the problem. to FS2004.

How you fix that though is probably beyond me. The only thing I can think of is another re-install.  If that is going to be your chosen route, I would then seriously ... very seriously, recommend the new SSD and start it all as a clean install.

I have no idea what your computer specifications are but if you are going to invest in new hardware I would, again, seriously consider going the P3Dv4 route and dropping the FSX-SE, which like FSX and Fs2004 has been seriously outdated by the advent of 64bit. Having said that, I am a dyed in the wool FS2004 proponent despite having ALL of the other sims. That is a personal preference driven by performance issues with 6 monitors and my current outdated computer specs. I have no idea what your system is like and whether it will drive the new sims satisfactorily. I do believe however, that if it can run FSX, FSX-SE satisfactorily, then it will certainly run a little better with a 64bit platform.

I hope this has been of some hope and/or help to you.

Cheers

Tony Chilcott

Current Specs: My current computer (may make you cry)
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40Ghz (4 Core Hyperthreaded to 8)
RAM16 GB DDR3 Ram
OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 (It was free...and I'm happy with it) 
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 560 TI 1GB RAM <<< This may be updated first.
SOUND: Creative Labs SoundBlaster (May enable onboard audio for Voice some time in the future)
Disk Space (Here we go): 1X 120 GB SSD, 2x 500GB HDDs (2.5inch from laptops), 2x 2TB HDDs (3.5inch)

Shift Keys were just tested in this forum. I'll duck into FSX:SE while installing FS2004. If I remember. This occurs while running SSTSIM or running FS2004 after FSX...but I doubt there would be a conflict in config files.

capt_blackwood, 

Now I am confused.

I was under the impression that the shift key was not activating aircraft commands in FS2004. If you are, in fact, having problems typing text in this forum, your problems has nothing whatsoever to do with FS2004 or FSX-SE and I think has to be keyboard related.  However, I note that you have quite a few capital letters in your last response and that would indicate that the keyboard is ok. Hence the confusion.

However, I now understand a couple of things.

1. Depending on your other requirements, you have adequate drives to separate your sim platforms and I strongly advise you to do that.

2. You are re-installing F2004 as we speak.

3. You are now running FSX.

A point to ponder for you.

I, personally never, ever, run any programmes or browsers  whilst installing anything. I believe the chances of corrupting something during the installation are greatly increased by doing so.  Go and have a beer instead LOL However, this is up to you.

Your system seems to be ok and similar to mine other than your storage and graphis. 

I agree with you that the GTX 560ti may be a little under powered but it should be able to run a single screen with sliders towards the left, Remember that FSX is very CPU reliant whereas the current P3Dv4 shares the load more equitably with the GPU.

My i7 2600k certainly runs both FSX and all the other sims fairly well using a single screen but falls far below the horizon when using two or more screens. I salivate constantly dreaming of a hardware upgrade to a new Intel (soon to be released)or the i7 7700k, new motherboard and faster ddr4 ram.

Can you please let me know how the Shift function goes with FSX and how the FS2004 installation goes.

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

14 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

capt_blackwood, 

Now I am confused.

I was under the impression that the shift key was not activating aircraft commands in FS2004. If you are, in fact, having problems typing text in this forum, your problems has nothing whatsoever to do with FS2004 or FSX-SE and I think has to be keyboard related.  However, I note that you have quite a few capital letters in your last response and that would indicate that the keyboard is ok. Hence the confusion.

However, I now understand a couple of things.

1. Depending on your other requirements, you have adequate drives to separate your sim platforms and I strongly advise you to do that.

2. You are re-installing F2004 as we speak.

3. You are now running FSX.

A point to ponder for you.

I, personally never, ever, run any programmes or browsers  whilst installing anything. I believe the chances of corrupting something during the installation are greatly increased by doing so.  Go and have a beer instead LOL However, this is up to you.

Your system seems to be ok and similar to mine other than your storage and graphis. 

I agree with you that the GTX 560ti may be a little under powered but it should be able to run a single screen with sliders towards the left, Remember that FSX is very CPU reliant whereas the current P3Dv4 shares the load more equitably with the GPU.

My i7 2600k certainly runs both FSX and all the other sims fairly well using a single screen but falls far below the horizon when using two or more screens. I salivate constantly dreaming of a hardware upgrade to a new Intel (soon to be released)or the i7 7700k, new motherboard and faster ddr4 ram.

Can you please let me know how the Shift function goes with FSX and how the FS2004 installation goes.

Cheers

Tony

So far Shift works normally (Browsers etc.), FSX:SE, and FS2004. Now to install my Concorde and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Concorde Behaves as it should. Shift key works as it should for now. I'll start adding other things to FS2004 as I deem ok. CIVA INS, MyTraffic 2004, other things.

Eventually, I'll start getting other stuff for FSX and then eventually, I'll take off FS2004. But that's once I have more money.

capt_blackwood,

I am really glad that you have this apparently sorted out.

I would also advise you NOT to be spending money on FSX add-ons. This platform is not being developed any more and developers are (mostly) concentrating on the new 64bit Sims.. Enjoy what you have for now and save for the future ie 64bit platforms.  point of view. It, like FSX, remains a great platform but there is so much more out there that is available now.

What you are thinking of doing is a bit like investing in a 2017 model t Ford.

I stress again, that this is your decision and I am not going to criticise you for it.. This is only personal advice and should be regarded as such.

Good luck to you anyway.

Regards

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.