Sign in to follow this  
Freo

SSD to SSD data transfer query

Hi Guys,

My C Drive is a 119GB SSD and it's in the red with only 10GB of space left. I want to get a higher capacity one, so is it possible to transfer all the data, including the O/S from one to another. All my flight sim stuff is on my E Drive with plenty of space left. I am on Windows 7 64bit Home premium . Do you think I should move to Windows 10 64 bit. I have just upgraded my MOBO, CPU and GPU. I keep getting messages saying that I can't get anymore Windows updates.

Cheers,

Neil

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

Many of the SSD manufacturers offer free cloning software to ease that migration. Simple to use and you don't lose anything.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

7 hours ago, Freo said:

Do you think I should move to Windows 10 64 bit. I have just upgraded my MOBO, CPU and GPU.

If you connect regularly to the Internet and also use your computer for other things (not just flight sims) then I'd say go for Windows 10. Windows 7 is no longer being updated and the recent ransomeware attacks have highlighted the value of security updates to the OS. If you do decide to go for it, I would advise a clean install of Windows 10 rather than upgrading your existing OS installation as it seems to produce far fewer issues. A clean install also ensures that you only install compatible drivers.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Just to clarify my comments above, mainstream support has already ended for Win 7 but there should still be security updates until 2020. I was mistakenly thinking about Vista - lack of sleep is my only excuse! That said, I'd still go for Win 10 given the option.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks for all your replies, It's given me something to think about. Re the windows not supported message. It states "Unsupported Hardware" and then says " Your PC uses a processor that is designed for the latest version of Windows, and updates are not supported" The processor is an Intel Core i7 7740X @ 4.30GHz, Kaby Lake 14nm Technology.

As for the data transfer, does it matter if the 2 SSD's are from different manufacturers. The installed one is a 119GB Crucial, and the one I have already bought is a 480GB Kingston.

Sorry for the basic questions, but I am far from being computer knowledgeable.

Cheers,

Neil  

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

11 hours ago, Freo said:

As for the data transfer, does it matter if the 2 SSD's are from different manufacturers. The installed one is a 119GB Crucial, and the one I have already bought is a 480GB Kingston.

Shouldn't make any difference.

All data including O/S successfully transferred to new SSD. A guy in town who is more knowledgeable than I am about computer software did it for me. He used Acronis software.

Thanks.

Neil Ward