Sign in to follow this  
ram123

vor approaches

can any1 pl explain how to do vordme approaches when vor is not near the runway?.

the reason i am asking is that 

1. when vor is not near the runway and we set the course in the vor from the approach it does not lead us towards the runway as the vor station is away from the runway. In such cases if i LOC the vor then i will not take me toward the runway. 

eg is below link https://1drv.ms/i/s!AsC_T1OTnSaeyg3YaoJUwuERNDzQ

if i set a course of 177 in vor , then it will not lead me towards the runway. please advise if iam not getting things correct

I will leave the most detailed explanation to any real world pilots or air traffic controllers who visit this thread...

On this approach, it looks like you use radial 191 inbound to the VOR until you get to DME 3.5. At DME 3.5, turn to heading 177 until runway is in sight.

Understand that VOR approaches are non-precision with relatively high MDA and always a visual acquisition of the runway environment before landing.

Hope this helps.

In short - a VOR approach, like any instrument approach, is designed to get you to a position where you can see the runway well enough to manoeuvre visually to land.

As Henry says, you track inbound on 191, descending as per the profile, until you reach D3.5. This is the missed approach point and therefore where the final approach guidance ends: if you can see the runway then you manoeuvre visually to land. If you cannot see the runway, you must go around.

My chart is slightly different in that it gives an MDA (minimum descent altitude) of 1090ft for a category C or D aircraft (which would tie in with the 1100ft at D3.5 shown on your chart). In any event, you must not descend below the MDA until you are visual with the runway. It used to be the case that you could fly level at the MDA until reaching the Missed Approach Point and initiate a go around there if you could not see the runway, but that is generally not considered good practice nowadays as it encourages an unstabilised 'dirty dive' after the MAPt to land. As such, the modern practice is to fly the final descent such that you reach the MDA at the MAPt and at that point either manoeuvre visually to land if you can see enough or otherwise go around.

Hope that helps!

• Upvote 1

As Henry said, this is a non-precision approach. As such, the procedure is not designed to guide you all the way down to the threshold. It's aim is to get you into a position from where you can see the runway and then continue with a visual approach to land. You would fly the approach to the minimum descent altitude (705ft in your example) at which point, if you haven't got the runway visual, you'd carry out the missed approach procedure.

Some approaches will allow you descend to the MDA early in the procedure and others (if there are obstructions around) will have a vertical profile where you must remain above specified heights until you reach a certain point (usually a DME range). In either case, your aircraft would be fully configured to land before you reached the missed approach point.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit