Sign in to follow this  
gregda

MCE run as admin conflicts in X-Plane

I understand this may be an unreasonable request or question but gotta ask.  There are two programs I use in X-Plane (Pilot2Atc and SimBuddy) that absolutely won't work unless X-Plane.exe is NOT set to run as administrator.  But of course MCE requires X-Plane be run as administrator.  Pretty daunting conflict as I don't want to give up any of these 3 great programs.  Is there anyway around this so all can be run at the same time?

7 hours ago, gregda said:

I understand this may be an unreasonable request or question but gotta ask.  There are two programs I use in X-Plane (Pilot2Atc and SimBuddy) that absolutely won't work unless X-Plane.exe is NOT set to run as administrator.  But of course MCE requires X-Plane be run as administrator.  Pretty daunting conflict as I don't want to give up any of these 3 great programs.  Is there anyway around this so all can be run at the same time?

You may actually run X-Plane without elevating to admin, but we would have to recommend disabling Windows UAC.

MCE (and the speech engine it hosts inside "mce.exe") runs as an external process to the sim for better stability of the latter. Your flight should hardly if ever be compromised. We do have a couple of dlls running inside the sim in order to give co-pilot the insight he needs, but decided long ago, against running MCE and the speech engine inside X-Plane process.

Under Windows UAC rules, occasionally Windows may prevent "mce.exe" and "X-Plane.exe" communicating smoothly.

That's why we always assume WIndows UAC is enabled, and we don't recommend disabling it. So users just need to....

1 - Install MCE to default C:\Program Files (x86)\Multi Crew Experience\ folder

2 - Set "X-Plane.exe" to run as admin.

Running the sim as admin is good in general for many add-ons, because subtle operations like creating a file inside a particular folder or things like that might be blocked and you have to scratch your head over why this particular thing doesn't work, while other things appear to be working on the surface.