Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Heads up - Avast! Behavior Shield stops SimServer from starting

Today I upgraded my Win 10 Pro to 1709 and after doing this I could no longer start SimServer since it kept telling me SimServer was already running although it was not.

Found out you can work around this issue by setting SimServer to be ran in Windows 8 compatibility mode so guess something needs to be tweaked to the SimServer.exe in order to work in the latest version of Win 10 without having to use compatibility mode.

Richard Åsberg

Hi Richard,

I have 1709 installed as well and no problems on my side.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Hmm...that's weird.

The only other thing I can think of that changed is I also upgraded to the latest Nvidia version.

Richard Åsberg

Played around a bit more and found out what is actually causing SimServer to fail from starting is the Behavior Shield component in Avast.

Interestingly enough this didn't happen to me before I upgraded Windows today and have been using Avast for as long as I can remember. Also interesting why Avast's Behavior Shield doesn't react when running SimServer.exe in Win 8 comp. mode.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found the real culprit and the simple solution just adding SimServer.exe to the exclusion list for the Behavior Shield in Avast with the result of no longer having to run SimServer in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

Sorry for the false alarm!

Richard Åsberg

Here Avast Behavior Shield blocked Active Sky AS4, Active Sky 16 and PMDG operations Center. Took a while to understand what happened because i have Avast forever and it never gave me any problems. Now, one more thing to worry about.

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

Yeah, sometimes you can have issues with with AV software but at the same time I wouldn't want to be without it.

All in all I think Avast works quite good with a very small footprint and IMO one of the best out there.

Richard Åsberg