Sign in to follow this  
SimonC

Change "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" dir

4 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Huh, that doesn't make a shred of sense. That would mean all and each addon developer must have unique filenames...?? :blink::blink: Or did I misunderstand something?

That is correct. IF the filenames are the same, the last ones loaded via the XML method will be used. You must look at the file structure and names in anything other than the simobjects folder. If you have duplicates there, P3D will generate an error.

HOWEVER, if the install is just ADDING the files to the sound folder, they should be unique or they will overwrite the default files. Most good developers create unique filenames when the do not want the default. Using those in the xml method is just fine because they will just be added.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just now, simbol said:

Yes Simon, but not everybody understands it, and they do it wrong! in hence why I am trying to bring awareness.

Best Regards,

Simbol

Well see, this is exactly what I was hoping to read when I asked for technical explanation.

4 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

That is correct. IF the filenames are the same, the last ones loaded via the XML method will be used. You must look at the file structure and names in anything other than the simobjects folder. If you have duplicates there, P3D will generate an error.

HOWEVER, if the install is just ADDING the files to the sound folder, they should be unique or they will overwrite the default files. Most good developers create unique filenames when the do not want the default. Using those in the xml method is just fine because they will just be added.

Vic

Don't need unique names if paths are unique, no?

There is another problem however, which I am trying to understand now.

How do textures work? For example with Effects\Texture? Effects are a component, but what about textures for effects? Do these need to be inserted into xml separately?

Just now, SimonC said:

Well see, this is exactly what I was hoping to read when I asked for technical explanation.

It is all explained inside the SDK.

I think this is now the 5th time I have explained this subject on AVSIM, every time I do it people just attack me instead of being grateful for the valuable information I am given to the community.

Getting tired of explaining it to be honest.

Regards,
Simbol

3 minutes ago, simbol said:

It is all explained inside the SDK.

I think this is now the 5th time I have explained this subject on AVSIM, every time I do it people just attack me instead of being grateful for the valuable information I am given to the community.

Getting tired of explaining it to be honest.

Regards,
Simbol

Certainly don't understand where this is coming from. All I said was that we could have saved ourselves many posts here, had the subject been brought down to the point earlier.

I am grateful now to know that I am not doing anything wrong (nor did I do before).

Thank you.

1 minute ago, SimonC said:

Don't need unique names if paths are unique, no?

There is another problem however, which I am trying to understand now.

How do textures work? For example with Effects\Texture? Effects are a component, but what about textures for effects? Do these need to be inserted into xml separately?

1) Don't need unique names if paths are unique, no?

NO

2) For Effects

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<SimBase.Document id="add-on" version="4,0" Type="AddOnXml">

<AddOn.Name>YOUR NAME</AddOn.Name>

<AddOn.Description>YOUR DESCRIPTION</AddOn.Description>

-<AddOn.Component>

<Category>Effects</Category>

<Path>C:\XXXXXX\Effects</Path>

</AddOn.Component>

</SimBase.Document>

You copy the effects to C:\xxxxxxxxx\Effects

You copy the effects textures to C:\xxxxxxxxx\Effects\Textures

However all effects inside of C:\xxxxxxxxx\Effects will have a higher priority for the sim, so if there is any effect with the same filename that is used by any other add-on's it will be overridden.

For planes:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<SimBase.Document id="add-on" version="4,0" Type="AddOnXml">

<AddOn.Name>YOUR NAME</AddOn.Name>

<AddOn.Description>YOUR DESCRIPTION</AddOn.Description>

-<AddOn.Component>

<Category>SimObjects</Category>

<Path>C:\XXXXXX\Planes</Path>

</AddOn.Component>

</SimBase.Document>

You copy the Planes to C:\xxxxxxxxx\Planes\PlaneA

You copy the panel, textures, sounds, etc inside of C:\xxxxxxxxx\Effects\PlaneA\, for example C:\xxxxxxxxx\Effects\PlaneA\Sound, C:\xxxxxxxxx\Effects\PlaneA\Texture

Best Regards,

Simbol

Certainly don't understand where this is coming from. All I said was that we could have saved ourselves many posts here, had the subject been brought down to the point earlier.

Apologies, not related to you, just venting as people never believe me when I explain this subject.

I hope my information is useful.

Regards,
Simbol

5 minutes ago, simbol said:

Apologies, not related to you, just venting as people never believe me when I explain this subject.

I hope my information is useful.

We are all human.

That it is.

However all effects inside of C:\xxxxxxxxx\Effects will have a higher priority for the sim, so if there is any effect with the same filename that is used by any other add-on's it will be overridden.

Why should this be any different, if paths are absolute and unique? All addons are in separate folders, separate xml files, unique and absolute paths. Even names should be unique. Why should anything mix up?

Why should this be any different, if paths are absolute and unique?

PDV4 knows that the Effects have a sub folder called texture, it will use that subfolder automatically only for those effects and nothing else.

If you declare a texture folder, your are declaring a different category, now you are instructing PDV4 to override "TEXTURES" for everything not only for the effects, you see the difference?

Simbol

• Upvote 1

This is why I asked if I need to declare it, because exactly for that reason it becomes globally declared and is not any more unique. BUT, if P3D knows it automatically, then there is no need to declare it.

I do understand the difference.

Do you maybe know what a definitive difference between global and world for texture is?

I do understand the difference.

Perfect, now I hope a lot of people read this and understand it too and hopefully we will see less people reporting problems due to conflicts with textures, effects, etc.

I wish you the best of luck on your adventure.

Best Regards,
Simbol

10 minutes ago, simbol said:

Perfect, now I hope a lot of people read this and understand it too and hopefully we will see less people reporting problems due to conflicts with textures, effects, etc.

LOL! Not a chance @simbol - Simmers are dedicated tweakers - always looking to try something new whether or nont they understand it. As long as someone tries it and is successful, there will be those who just try it without thinking - THEY are usually the ones who get into trouble. I am afraid you will be explaining this for a while until more understand.

Keep up the good work!

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I am afraid you will be explaining this for a while until more understand.

Keep up the good work!

Vic

I better stack up my headache pain killers then...

Simbol 

Just in case the question was missed: textures global vs world? The explanation in SDK is not really meaningful.

Edit:

I have found something Beau said, which goes along the discussion here. He said that if a texture is requested and is not found in the local storage, the texture in higher priority placed scenery, if the filename corresponds, will be used.

That would mean that one shouldn’t have trouble even if having multiple textures with same name in multiple folders. Or in another word, our whole discussion was for nothing?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125031