Sign in to follow this  
Kawfee Bassie

Stuck in Ground to Tower Loop

It doesn't happen that often, but sometimes I get stuck in a loop during taxi where Ground tells me to contact Tower, but then when I contact Tower they tell me to go back to ground for taxi instructions. I suspect this isn't a bug perse, more likely bad data related to the taxiway. I have watched the videos on how to load and manually correct taxiway data, etc. Maybe if this was a problem at my home airport or something, I might take the time to do that, but I fly in and out of a different airport just about every time I fly.

Is there anyway to break this loop so I can just continue my flight?

In order for Tower to take your request for departure, you must be within a short distance from the last hold short point nearest the runway departure point, or if there is not hold short point, near the actual end of the runway.  So, if you press the Taxi button on the map, you can see a black triangle near the end of the departure runway and you need to be close to that.

In many cases, you can break the loop by requesting a midfield departure, which then does not check for this proximity to the end of the runway.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:27 AM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

In order for Tower to take your request for departure, you must be within a short distance from the last hold short point nearest the runway departure point, or if there is not hold short point, near the actual end of the runway.  So, if you press the Taxi button on the map, you can see a black triangle near the end of the departure runway and you need to be close to that.

In many cases, you can break the loop by requesting a midfield departure, which then does not check for this proximity to the end of the runway.

I've had this problem as well. But when I press the Taxi button it tells me I must receive taxi instructions before I can see the route. The problem is that the program has already given me taxi instructions.

If you get instructions with taxiways, that means that the data does not contain a valid route to the runway, so the program cannot draw the route.

You can look at the airport taxiway system in Taxiway Mnt and you will probably be able to see some taxiways or Hold Points are missing or mis-placed.

Dave

There are a ton of airports in X-Plane where they don't seem to model the taxiways or ramps. To do a *ramp* start, they basically put you in the center of the runway and you backtaxi for whatever runway you want to depart from. For these airports, the *little black triangle* is midfield of the runway. So now I call for taxi, then immediately call for tower, get my clearance to takeoff, then I backtaxi to the end of runway to takeoff.

Thanks for the tip of looking for the black triangle on the runway - that helped.

1 hour ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

If you get instructions with taxiways, that means that the data does not contain a valid route to the runway, so the program cannot draw the route.

You can look at the airport taxiway system in Taxiway Mnt and you will probably be able to see some taxiways or Hold Points are missing or mis-placed.

Dave

Thanks. I'll give that a try.