Sign in to follow this  
markoni

Gsync 1080p monitor - fixed 30hz freq.???

22 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

With your system u should be able to run at 4k pretty decent.  One advantage to 4k is u can lower your AA settings and still have a sharp picture.  Once u use 4k it is hard to go back to anything else.  The type of cable has nothing to do with being able to display 30hz.  It's all on the monitor in that regard.  I have my 38 inch ultra wide cruising along as we speak at 30hz via display port connection.  Most 4k monitors should display at 30hz with HDMI and display port and at 60hz with only display port.  HDMI does not have the capability to display 4k at 60hz.  

So it means that if I set resolution down to 1080p, I would still be able to set 30hz without any problem?

1 hour ago, markoni said:

So it means that if I set resolution down to 1080p, I would still be able to set 30hz without any problem?

If the monitor is 30hz capable then yes.  Just be aware that 1080p on a 4k monitor the picture will not be the best.  1440p would be better but for best results u want to run at native resolution.  I ran 4k with a gtx 980 with good success using p3d.  

Matt Wilson

13 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

If the monitor is 30hz capable then yes.  Just be aware that 1080p on a 4k monitor the picture will not be the best.  1440p would be better but for best results u want to run at native resolution.  I ran 4k with a gtx 980 with good success using p3d.  

Thanks. I know that native is the best solution, but I plan to go for 28 inch max, I think 1080p would be acceptable. 4k is twice as 1080p so maybe pixels would be scaled better than 1440p on 4k monitor. Just assumption :)

2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

False information

False information??? so you know my monitor?. do you see any 30hz here?

ungHexl.jpg

Please stop giving bad advice.  U are going to mislead the poor guy

What bad advice? gsync only works with display port, period! unless you have a monitor capable of doing 30hz via displayport you cant have both, if you know any, share to help the "poor guy", its more valid that just saying that the others are wrong.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

55 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

False information??? so you know my monitor?. do you see any 30hz here?

ungHexl.jpg

What bad advice? gsync only works with display port, period! unless you have a monitor capable of doing 30hz via displayport you cant have both, if you know any, share to help the "poor guy", its more valid that just saying that the others are wrong.

U stated twice that HDMI is required for 30hz.  That is false. U can argue it all u want.  I am helping the guy by trying to filter out the bad information.  The only valid point u have is that display port is required for G sync.  U can not make blanket statements based on only your monitors requirements.  

Matt Wilson

7 hours ago, neumanix said:

Exactly what is it that isn't working? Do you get stutter and/or tearing even with gsync on?

I use P3D mainly for GA flying and can stay locked at 60fps on my current 60Hz monitor, which is pretty good, especially when using TrackIR.

I'm looking into gsync monitors for playing other games too besides sims, but was hoping that it would work in FS9/FSX/P3D plus reduce the input lag you get from vsync.

6 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

If u can maintain at LEAST 35 fps g sync seems to work good.  The problem is when u drop around 30 fps the stuttering starts.  There is also a flaw in g sync when using the mouse in windowed mode that does not jive well with p3d.  Hopefully a future driver update can resolve these issues.

I own an ASUS PG279Q and I have great results regardless of fps...AS LONG AS LOW FPS ISN'T CAUSED BY CPU/GPU NOT BEING ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH P3D. If you run G-Sync setting to allow windowed mode, and use a late generation Nvidia driver, G-Sync can work well even below 30 fps. This is not necessarily the case for ALL G-Sync monitor hardware. You must be careful which monitor you buy, and what generation of G-Sync hardware it uses.

I have done several tests in P3D with frames locked at 10, 15, 20, 24, 28, 30, 35, 45, 60 fps and G-Sync works perfectly for all. I usually run locked frames because the 279Q will not allow 30Hz refresh locked, and because I don't want my GPU outputting a higher fps than my CPU/other hardware can keep up with.

ALL of the blanket statements in earlier posts about G-Sync not working at or below 30 fps are not true for every monitor.

I agree with others, that if you can build a system that allows 30Hz refresh, and can maintain at least 30 fps, even G-Sync won't beat that for consistently smooth simming.

The problem is that too many people confuse causes of lack of smoothness. Stuttering is not always/usually caused by low fps.

Edited by somiller
Changed Mhz to Hz

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

19 minutes ago, somiller said:

I own an ASUS PG279Q and I have great results regardless of fps...AS LONG AS LOW FPS ISN'T CAUSED BY CPU/GPU NOT BEING ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH P3D. If you run G-Sync setting to allow windowed mode, and use a late generation Nvidia driver, G-Sync can work well even below 30 fps. This is not necessarily the case for ALL G-Sync monitor hardware. You must be careful which monitor you buy, and what generation of G-Sync hardware it uses.

I have done several tests in P3D with frames locked at 10, 15, 20, 24, 28, 30, 35, 45, 60 fps and G-Sync works perfectly for all. I usually run locked frames because the 279Q will not allow 30Mhz refresh locked, and because I don't want my GPU outputting a higher fps than my CPU/other hardware can keep up with.

ALL of the blanket statements in earlier posts about G-Sync not working at or below 30 fps are not true for every monitor.

I agree with others, that if you can build a system that allows 30Mhz refresh, and can maintain at least 30 fps, even G-Sync won't beat that for consistently smooth simming.

The problem is that too many people confuse causes of lack of smoothness. Stuttering is not always/usually caused by low fps.

How do u test g sync at 10 frames?? I'm not arguing what u are saying I just have never seen g sync work properly on anything below 30fps.  

Matt Wilson

How do u test g sync at 10 frames?? I'm not arguing what u are saying I just have never seen g sync work properly on anything below 30fps.  

Matt,

The newer implementations of G-Sync hardware are capable of switching to double, triple, quadruple, etc., refresh rate multiples of fps. Within that implementation, when fps drops below the refresh capability of the monitor, G-Sync simply sets a refresh multiple that syncs with fps...ex.: 15fps - 45Hz refresh. This capability is one of the major differences between G-Sync, and current implementations of FreeSync, which is a shame, because FreeSync monitors are SO much less expensive.

There are some reviews of G-sync in which the reviewers use an oscilloscope to demonstrate the Hz switch to multiple of fps...it's pretty ingenious. An area of primary concern when I was researching monitors, was the worry of G-Sync not functioning below a certain fps/Hz threshold.

Edited by somiller
changed Mhz to Hz

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

7 minutes ago, somiller said:

Matt,

The newer implementations of G-Sync hardware are capable of switching to double, triple, quadruple, etc., refresh rate multiples of fps. Within that implementation, when fps drops below the refresh capability of the monitor, G-Sync simply sets a refresh multiple that syncs with fps...ex.: 15fps - 45Mhz refresh. This capability is one of the major differences between G-Sync, and current implementations of FreeSync, which is a shame, because FreeSync monitors are SO much less expensive.

There are some reviews of G-sync in which the reviewers use an oscilloscope to demonstrate the Mhz switch to multiple of fps...it's pretty ingenious. An area of primary concern when I was researching monitors, was the worry of G-Sync not functioning below a certain fps/Mhz threshold.

Very interesting.  I appreciate the info!

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

U stated twice that HDMI is required for 30hz.  That is false. U can argue it all u want.  I am helping the guy by trying to filter out the bad information.  The only valid point u have is that display port is required for G sync.  U can not make blanket statements based on only your monitors requirements.  

So part of i stated is wrong information(in your opinion) not all, you can be more accurate next time. Really sorry, i didnt notice that you where an expert, please proceed on filtering the bad information.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

2 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

So part of i stated is wrong information(in your opinion) not all, you can be more accurate next time. Really sorry, i didnt notice that you where an expert, please proceed on filtering the bad information.

How can I be any more accurate?? U stated that HDMI is required for 30hz and I pointed out that was false information.  Pretty cut and dry.  Quit being butt hurt about it.  Life will go on.

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

How can I be any more accurate?? U stated that HDMI is required for 30hz and I pointed out that was false information.  Pretty cut and dry.  Quit being butt hurt about it.  Life will go on.

Dont quote others stating "False information" without being more accurate, thats it, if something was wrong just point what it was, looks arrogant if you dont. And im not butt hurt, dont exacly know what that means, but i advice not use that kind of "language" here...ive been "punished" for less! Im still on mine, i dont know any gsync monitor that can do 30hz in display port, until i do, 30hz can only work in hdmi.

Since we are not adding any value to OP with this conversation, for me is over and out.

Peace!

Marques