Sign in to follow this  
tttocs

AS for P3Dv4 version specific?

I have the latest build of AS for P3Dv4 but I'm still running 4.0 rather than 4.1.  When I fire up AS and then attempt to start P3D and load a flight I get a CTD.  Once that happens, P3D will crash on startup whether AS is running or not.  I have to use the P3D utility to clean things up and start over.  I'll go to HiFi support if needed, but first a simple question:

Is the latest build only intended to work with v4.1?  If so, that's likely my problem and I'll have to bite the bullet and update to 4.1. If not, I'll get with HiFi to figure things out.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Did you find any answers to the issue you had?  I am having the exact same problem as you listed and haven't found a solution yet.  I did end up updating P3D to 4.1 but still P3D crashes just as you described.

I haven't had the time to reinstall AS yet incase that helped, thought I'd wait for any solutions you came across first.

Also, the "P3D utility to clean up things" - which utility is that?  I just updated from 4.0 to 4.1 so hadn't needed this yet, but I may need it if no one has any ideas with this one.

I'm also running Win10 1703 and haven't installed the Fall Update.

Please report back if you do find something :)

Thanks,

Subin.

Hi Subin,

No, no solutions yet, unfortunately.   I'm going to try to reach out to HiFI today with some information.  (I seen to always have two pieces faulting - ntdll.dll and clr.dll)  Thanks for letting me know that your upgrade to 4.1 didn't solve the issue for you.  That's most helpful.

13 hours ago, Subs said:

Also, the "P3D utility to clean up things" - which utility is that?  I just updated from 4.0 to 4.1 so hadn't needed this yet, but I may need it if no one has any ideas with this one.

If you look in the main P3D folder you'll see a shortcut called "Delete Generated Files"  This executes P3D with some switches that go out and delete all of the config files, shaders, etc.  Since my P3D config file is NOT the issue, I've been saving off a copy of that and then moving it back in without issues so I don't have to start completely from scratch.  Afterwards, I've had to re-install a couple of my airports (from Turbulent) and use the FTX Central "Force Migration" to get my Orbx stuff working properly.  Nothing too painful.  How have you been getting P3D back running after this has happened?

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I've only had a few minutes here and there to attend to the issue so I haven't been able to get in-depth into looking at the problem.  This morning I updated to the Fall Update (1709) and it didn't help (I didn't expect it to, just thought I'd bite the bullet).

Previously I didn't have to get P3D running after starting AS, as I just did the 4.0 to 4.1 update which allowed me to start P3D.  Then having thought all was well, I started AS and then P3D wouldn't start again.  Before that I thought UTLive might be causing the problem and ruled it out by disabling it.

Thanks a million for the 'Delete Generated Files' trick, it worked a wonder :)  I tried that today and could get P3D to start up.  When I have some time, I was planning to do a file comparison between what files changed between before AS starting up and after AS stating up.  This might help the HiFi guys narrow it down for us.

Rgds,

Subin

Hi Subin,

Problem solved. 

The underlying cause appears to be antivirus interference, though that's not definitive.  Just in case though, I first went through and made sure the AS folder was excluded as well as the AS executable.  I've always excluded my sim folders and executable so that was already done.  None of this solves the problem of course, but it may help prevent it from recurring.

Next, take a look at this short discussion.  While it references the initial beta, it's still valid and was absolutely the issue on my system with the released product.  Note this involves a registry edit (you'll be deleting a registry key), so use appropriate caution.  The issue has something to do with Windows locking out executables when it thinks it sees compatibility issues.
https://hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?8454-P3D-V4-Open-Beta-P3D-crash-to-desktop-after-installing-AS-for-P3d-v4

Next, I ran across a discussion on FSDT's forums which indicates this is a problem which can occur with other sim addons, often on first execution after initial installation just as AS did for me.  Umberto suggested another registry edit (this one adds a new key) which will apparently prevent Windows from creating the exclusion key I had to delete in the first place.  From FSDT:

"IF you want to turn off that windows 'feature', so it won't continue to mistakenly set wrong compatibility settings, you can do by creating the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat\DisablePCA
It must be a DWORD type, with a value of 1"

Having done these things, AS now works perfectly on my system.

Again, use caution, backup your registry and, of course, this may not end up being your issue at all, but it is what fixed mine.  If you've got the sim running again, it's likely the key has already been removed, but if the problem recurs when you run AS again, it should be there.

Good luck,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks heaps for the reply, you're a champ :)  I followed your instructions (I would have never been able to find the detail that you did), and finally it seems my sim is also back to normal.  I just did a couple of quick slew flights here and there and all seems ok.  Hopefully I might get in a quick flight at the end of the week which should confirm the fix.

Thanks again,

Subin.

Awesome!  Glad I could help.  Things continue to work flawlessly for me, so hopefully we've both seen the last of this annoying issue.

Scott