Sign in to follow this  
KSAN_Chuck

OpsCenter in P3D V4.1??

A few weeks ago I purchased PMDG's 777 base package (version 1.10.8414), and installed it on P3D V4.  I used OpCenter to get a couple of liveries and logged about 30 hours of flight time in my new aircraft--no problems encountered anywhere.  

I just reformatted the drives on my flying computer and loaded Win10-64 and loaded P3D V4.1 (version 4.1.7.22841).  I then logged into my account at PMDG and downloaded the latest 777 base package (version 1.10.8448).  It seemed to install without any problems.  I can load (but haven't actually flown) the 777.  However, OpsCenter (or PMDG) does not show up in the start menu.  I can go to the PMDG Operations Center directory and launch OpsCenterUpdater as administrator, but it runs for about 5-10 seconds (it is launching on an SSD) and then dies--no error messages or any other warning.  

I tried looking in \AppData\Roaming ... for a log file, but the only PMDG-related folder there is RAASPRO.  

I uninstalled the PMDG 777-200LRF Base Package P3D (the only PMDG listing in the Uninstall Programs listing in the Control Panel) and tried again--always being sure to run the installation package, P3D and OpsCenter as administrator.  

I also turned off Windows Defender and Windows Firewall (there is no other security software on this box) while trying to run OpsCenter, with the same results as described above.  

Any ideas?

Chuck Adams

It could be the shortcut is missing.

If I'm correct it should be installed in your c:\Program Files (x86\ probably under a PMDG menu. I unfrotunately cannot check while at work that it is the correct location but try to have a look there after install.

I'm sure other will provide a perfect directory location.

10 hours ago, KSAN_Chuck said:

Any ideas?

It'll be in ProgFiles\PMDG Operations Center\ (though there is a folder in AppData, but I think that only shows up after you run the program once). Do you have any anti-virus program other than Defender? There's also a known issue in Win10, where it will remove icons from the Start Menu. Hasn't affected me, but I know it hit Paul and a few others on the team / beta groups.

FWIW: This is one of the MANY reasons I recommend against reformats as troubleshooting/"cleaning" processes. It may fix one or a couple issues, but it can cause so many others, and it's really not the best for your hardware - so many unnecessary writes/re-writes.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Oh, the program is there--right where it should be.  I isn't in the start menu, but I can easily launch it.  The problem is, it runs for 5 seconds or so, then quits.  Not sure there is anything different from the last time I installed P3D, 777 etc. on this box.  Just not functional now.  

No third-party firewalls/anti-virus software on this box--just the Win10 firewall and Defender.  After the program failed to launch, I disabled them, but got the same results with OpsCenter.  

Chuck Adams

21 minutes ago, KSAN_Chuck said:

The problem is, it runs for 5 seconds or so, then quits.  Not sure there is anything different from the last time I installed P3D, 777 etc. on this box.  Just not functional now.  

In the OC folder, delete everything except the updater.exe, then run the updater.exe.

Kyle Rodgers

I used the control panel to delete the PMDG 777-200LRF base package P3D.  I also deleted the remaining files (if any, can't remember) from Program Files (x86) \ PMDG Operations Center.  Then, as Administrator, I re-installed the base package (version 1.10.8448.0).  The reinstall seems to go well, it asks to install DirectX (yet again), which I allow.  The package also seems to connect to the server as part of then install.  After clicking "Finish", there is nothing from PMDG in the start menu.  However, the 777 (PMDG colors) is available in P3D v4.1.  

I removed all files except the OpsCenter application from the Program Files (x86) directory, and right-click to run as administrator.  It launches, tells me it is connecting to the server, and after 3-5 seconds it dies.  

I have not submitted a trouble ticket, but will do so if advised.  

Sadly, I failed to retain the previous base package installer that I used for P3D V4.  That ran great, I had no problems uploading the 777 w/AAL livery.  It flew flawlessly--several flights beginning in WSSS and ending in SBGR.  

Chuck Adams

53 minutes ago, KSAN_Chuck said:

I removed all files except the OpsCenter application from the Program Files (x86) directory, and right-click to run as administrator.  It launches, tells me it is connecting to the server, and after 3-5 seconds it dies.  

That is not what Kyle asked you to do.  Run the updater, delete everything else.

Dan Downs KCRP

Wow--tried to submit a trouble ticket today with a full explanation, and all I get is that I have entered illegal text in a field.  

I am beginning to think this effort has been a waste of time, and money.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KSAN_Chuck said:

Wow--tried to submit a trouble ticket today with a full explanation, and all I get is that I have entered illegal text in a field.  

I am beginning to think this effort has been a waste of time, and money. 

Chuck,

Worth mentioning that you, yourself, noted that there wasn't any issue prior to your reformat. As such, that's proof positive that the software itself works, and the issue is with your computer and the configuration change that you made. Along those lines, I don't think it's fair to say it's a waste of time and money. The reformat was (and usually always is) a waste of time. Everything that followed - as is shown by your initial message noting that you were able to use your products prior to your reformat action - is your own doing. If your computer isn't set up properly to allow our software to work, it wouldn't matter if you paid $5 or $500, as your computer's setup isn't something we can control.

As far as the 'illegal text' issue, you'd have to type something pretty odd to get that message. Are you trying to copy/paste stuff in? Are you typing using normal characters? I tried to help you earlier, and it doesn't seem that you followed what I asked you to do. I've been trying to help you, but I can only do so much - here or there. If you consider all of this a waste of time, it's only because you've allowed it to be. I want you to be able to use the software, and I'm sitting here literally trying to help you fix your own mistake, on software that we did not write, on hardware we did not configure (or mess with / reformat).

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, 

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate your efforts to help me.  

You are correct, there was no issue prior to the reformat.  However, as I stated earlier, I was using version 1.10.8414.  After the "reformat" (I use that term loosely, as I am using an SSD; I actually just created a new simple volume, reinstalled Win10, P3D V4.1 and some ORBX scenery), I was trying to use version 1.10.8448--not the 1.10.8414 I was using earlier.  For what it's worth, I did the "reformat" for reasons unrelated to PMDG, or P3D for that matter.  

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, scandinavian13 said:

In the OC folder, delete everything except the updater.exe, then run the updater.exe.

At first, I misunderstood your instructions.  I deleted all the files in the OC folder except for the OpsCenter executable--as I stated earlier, there was no updater.exe file present.  I then un-installed everything PMDG-related and repeated the Base Package installation process--still no updater.exe.  So sorry, unable to follow your instructions to the letter--but I certainly would if I could.  

As for the "illegal text", I had copied and pasted the URL for this thread.  After I got the "illegal text" message, I started deleting things, including the URL, but no joy.  By the time I gave up, I had deleted so much that the message didn't have enough content remaining to help anyone.  I will give it another try as soon as I finish with this.  

So for me, as of this point, it was a waste of money to purchase the 777 unless I want to fly the 777 with the PMDG house livery.  I just hope that when I log into my PMDG account at some time in the future, I will be able to download a version other than 1.10.8448, which for me installs an OpsCenter package that is non-functional, and leaves me without the ability to update the 777 (I am trying to grab the AAL livery, which I was using with the prior installation of the 777).  

Again, thanks for your efforts.  

Chuck Adams