Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

To UltraEdit users...

Does anyone know if UltraEdit (and which version) supports the Unicode actually employed by LM/P3D for the Scenery.CFG and similar files?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Hi Ed,

I don't use Ultraedit, but Notepad ++ has what you're asking. It's free.

Also, Lorby_SI's Addon Organizer has an option to check the various *.cfg and *.xml files and correct the encoding if necessary

• Upvote 2

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Does anyone know if UltraEdit (and which version) supports the Unicode actually employed by LM/P3D

I'm in the office today, I can get back to you tonight on UltraEdit ... but Win10 basic Notepad supports UTF-8

Notepad_UTF8.jpg.0863d92e688be90618db62bc30a5fb40.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I'm in the office today, I can get back to you tonight on UltraEdit ... but Win10 basic Notepad supports UTF-8

Hi Rob, I'll appreciate your help tonight, since I have all my CFG files (and the corresponding TMC in AFS2) set to work with UltraEdit. I'm about to install P3Dv4 (v4.1) for the first time (finally my new video card has arrived) and would like to be sure my UltraEdit will not mess any of the P3D configuration files in case I have to edit them.

Thanks, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

5 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Also, Lorby_SI's Addon Organizer has an option to check the various *.cfg and *.xml files and correct the encoding if necessary

Hi Jay. Thanks for that info, good to know!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

2 hours ago, edpatino said:

would like to be sure my UltraEdit will not mess any of the P3D configuration files in case I have to edit them.

Oh, in that case you don't need to worry at all, UltraEdit will NOT change the format.  Whatever format it reads will be the same format it writes.  With that said, if a 3rd party content provider has created the file in the wrong format then UltraEdit will save it in the same wrong format.  In those situations you will need to know what format to save ... UltraEdit has similar drop downs as Notepad except you can do it on the fly and not only on save.

Cheers, Rob.

2 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

UltraEdit has similar drop downs as Notepad ...

Yes, I noticed that, but with a lot of more options.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

19 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

UltraEdit has similar drop downs as Notepad except you can do it on the fly and not only on save.

Rob, I wanted to share with you that I've used UltraEdit for over 7 years and find it does everything I want to do and much more.  However, their price has more than doubled since I became a customer so I shopped around and found EditPad Pro cost much less and I've gotten to like its UI much better than UltraEdit.  I like how one can switch between different encoding and even switch to a binary view on the fly, and in the xml mode it provides a nice green highlight on  tags when all is well within or turns the highlight red when something is amiss such as a missing '/'.  Very nice product.

Dan Downs KCRP