Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Iceland 2017: Keflavik to Isafjordur

Iceland 2017: Keflavik to Isafjordur

Starting at Keflavik (BIKF), the international airport, we take a hop across the bay to Reykjavik's small city centre airport (BIRK).  Next head north to Stykkisholmur (BIST) then along Snaefellsnes peninsula.  We'll visit Snaefellsjokull volcano (WP1), the setting for Jules Verne's novel Journey to the Centre of the Earth before we land at Rif (BIRF).  Then an overwater leg (sorry) to the scenic Westfjords region, with stops at Patreksfjordur (BIPA), Bildudalur (BIBD) and Thingeyri (BITE).  The end of our route is the challenging approach into runway 08 at Isafjordur (BIIS), which starts out in the bay before heading into the fjord then making a 180 degree turn to land.  Easy, right?  It would be if there weren't mountains all around you....  If anyone thinks of taking the easy way out and landing on 26 instead - it's closed! :laugh:

Flightplans

PLN

GFP

Aircraft

It's a 220nm route, so something that can do around 150kts should be about right.  I'm going to have a look at a few options including the DC-3 / C-47 or maybe the DH Dove, or this is very much Twin Otter country.  As always, the choice is yours.

Scenery

Orbx kindly made Iceland as the demo for their FTX Global scenery platform.  If you already have Global + EU landclass, you should find that all the goodies such as upgraded airports (including a nice rendition of BIRK) and some of the Reykjavik landmarks will already be in your sim without needing to install the demo.  I suggest having Vector active as well if you have it.

Particulars

Date and time: Saturday 11th November 2017, 1900 UTC.
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D)
If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

Recommend that you set your initial clock to 1315 local time to account for flight time and the usual "faffing about" time.  This should give us a sunset over the fjords at the conclusion of the flight.

Finally... pray for good weather!!  The forecast for Saturday for the west of Iceland doesn't look too bad right now....

• Upvote 1

A beautiful Iceland Fall Day? Well over a mile of visibility in the snow at Isafjordur.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'm having trouble with Iceland. I can fly any ware else in the world but as soon as I load into Iceland the sim crashes. I been working on it for 3 hrs and still no go.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I am experiencing problems at Iceland too.  At first I thought it was the Twin Otter.  It crashed after a minute or so after loading,  but I am getting App Hang's with the F22 when I tried to load at a gate at BIKF.  Continuing to troubleshoot.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Ive tried everything and can not get it to work. I can load into the eastern part of Iceland but as soon as I go to the NW area where we are flying it crashes.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I have just succesfully loaded up at BIKF and saved a starting scenario in the C-54.  I am now switching to the DHC-6 and will try to save a starting scenario.

OK, Success on getting Twin Otter loaded at BIKF.  Will do a test flight.

Just completed first leg in the Twin Otter.  Everything OK now.  

I did go into FTX central and open the control panel for europe landclass to check what tick boxes were enabled.  I did not change anything, but when I restarted P3D I got a message about updating autogen libraries.  

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Another triumph for Nick and his amazing route setting skilz. Shame about Josh and his very puzzling problems. The vagaries of flight simming eh? :rolleyes: The time honoured phrase 'It's working all right for me' rang through the airwaves.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Sunday's flight -
Thanks Gunter! A nice one..
A couple of shots show discussed POIs & a group shot (sans Josh) at Cessnock.
RE: Saturdays for me, all Saturdays thru early December are unknown for availability but can change unexpectedly in the morning of. Just FYI.
 SS_12Nov17_113911_S33.85253_E151.21118.j

SS_12Nov17_120358_S33.16265_E151.5214.jp

SS_12Nov17_120429_S33.16567_E151.54429.j

SS_12Nov17_124330_S32.78167_E151.34227.j

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap