Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Help with body shaker

Following a recent sim rebuild, I decided to install a body shaker. I found a 100w transducer and have wired it up to a Yamaha amp that was originally driving a full 5.1 surround system with subwoofer. While it works reasonably well, connected to the orbital speaker outputs, this is hardly ideal, as it is not receiving the lower frequencies normally driven by the subwoofer outlet. Unfortunately, if I connect directly from the subwoofer outlet on the amp, I get nothing. I understand that there needs to be a separate amp driving the subwoofer? This is where I fall down.I'm unsure what It is I need. Can anyone offer any advice. thanks fellas.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Those body shaker transducers need to be powered from an amp just like any other sort of passive (i.e. non-powered) speaker element.  Seems that the sub output from your home theater amp outputs a line level output for its sub channel, which is probably meant to drive a powered sub.  If you are lucky maybe your amp can be configured to drive that sub out at speaker level (i.e. to drive a passive sub).  Otherwise you'll need to get a sub amp to drive that body shaker, or cannibalize the amp from the sub that goes with your amp.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

22 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Those body shaker transducers need to be powered from an amp just like any other sort of passive (i.e. non-powered) speaker element.  Seems that the sub output from your home theater amp outputs a line level output for its sub channel, which is probably meant to drive a powered sub.  If you are lucky maybe your amp can be configured to drive that sub out at speaker level (i.e. to drive a passive sub).  Otherwise you'll need to get a sub amp to drive that body shaker, or cannibalize the amp from the sub that goes with your amp.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776