Sign in to follow this  
tres2

Squirrely TBM 850

Hi guys,

I have, by now, had an exhaustive experience with my TBM 850 stretching back over about the last year and a half and it's only thanks to Voice Attack, which I learned about from my now hero and new best friend Scottb613, that I have finally gotten it to where I can fly it at all. The issue was my neurologically defficient fingers, which can not operate a mouse scroll wheel (in fairness to carenado I should mention that when I told them about this problem they gave me my pick of any other of their airplanes. I chose the Malibu jet prop and I am very happy with it) And the solution has been Voice Attack which allows one to create macros which will do things like operate the scroll wheel by voice command. Wonderful! Thanks so much Scott!

But now that I can select an altitude setting and a heading setting I am discovering a raft of new issues I didn't know I had.

Mostly, this little bugger is one squirrelly SOB. It doesn't seem to matter whether I am using altitude or vertical speed, the aircraft simply ignores inputs

I'm remembering with a shudder the Lilco Falcon  7X, a pretty thing to look at but it will not fly except by hand and what good is that in an aircraft with a 5000 mile range?

I'm becoming very fond of my Socata TBM 850. It's ground handling and hand flying are good to excellent. It lands like a butterfly. If I could just get it to where it would arrive at a previously see elected altitude and do climbs/descents in a reliable controlled way. Then I would feel guilty for having beaten Carenado out of a free airplane (I didn't mean to but that would be the way it would have turned out) and I guess I we just have to go back and buy another one LOL.

Tres

Hi Tres,

LOL - you're too kind - happy to help...

Yeah - I don't have many Carenado aircraft and I don't have the Socata - mainly because their deficiencies with glass keep me from flying it realistically... Personally - I need to have one of the third party GPS solutions available... You obviously like turboprops and from my experience (I think many others may agree) - the PC12 is one of Carenado's best efforts... Full third party support for Flight1 and RXP... That said - I think it's one of the most stable (not squirrelly) turboprops I've ever flown in FS... Probably due to the massive straight wings and STOL capability... Granted - you're not going to get Socata speed but 250 KTAS cruise in a single engine aircraft isn't too shabby... If you're really interested in a new plane - given your dexterity issues - and - seeing your tastes - the PC12 is what I would probably recommend to you...

Oh - and I forgot to upload my VA profile as stated - sorry - busy with pre-holiday stuff last weekend - here is an old one I had on my DropBox account - shows how I use it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/495bz5yrasv6htk/SCO P3D-Profile.zip?dl=0

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Delighted to hear your comments about the PC 12 as it is exactly what I am considering as my next purchase (I can't believe I'm getting involved with all this payware, I went for years with payware being against my religion LOL but the days of Lots of good quality freeware are over).

But I have no intention of allowing my beautiful little Socata TBM 850 rust away because I couldn't figure out an answer to why it has such altitude difficulties. There's just got to be an answer.

Hi Tres,

Yeah - sadly - the days of freeware are long gone (with rare exceptions) and it takes a boat load of cash to achieve many of the results you see posted in the forum... 

One other thought that may help you - is ChasePlane - it's a necessity in my book... LOL - I don't like spending other peoples money but again - this may greatly help with dexterity issues... It's the slickest camera utility I've ever seen... What this will do for you - among the countless improvements it brings to the sim - is allows you to setup "canned" views around your cockpit... You can cycle through these views via joystick - or key presses - or most recently via mouse hotspots... So - if you're having trouble changing settings in the altimeter window - make a canned view where it zooms in close enough so the click spots are large and more easily manipulated... The interface is one of the most intuitive I've ever seen in flight sim - it's truly polished and user friendly... Anyway - just my two cents - take it for what it's worth...

Regards,
Scott 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7