Bobsk8

Crash after Windows 7 update today

Prepar3d was unable to initialize the rendering system and was shutdown is the error I got, after I downloaded the latest important updates 7 this morning.  It said something about it couldn't find the DX 11 something or other and suggested I install the latest GPU drivers. The update had downloaded but hadn't installed yet. I rebooted the PC, and everything was fine. Then I later tried to install the update, and I got an error that it would not install. Then I looked at what the update was for , in it was for Nvidia..????  So I hid the update in windows, so it won't ever try and install it again. I do not like Windows messing with my Graphics drivers. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Get Windows 10!  Then it will be mandatory :angry: (but there's an option to turn updates from third parties off).:smile:

Edit:  Since getting the latest version of Windows 10 (v1709), I cannot install any GPU updates from Nvidia.  If I try it will corrupt my system and use the Windows Display driver instead.  If I want to use Windows again, I must use system restore to get the old drivers back.

5 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Get Windows 10!  Then it will be mandatory :angry: (but there's an option to turn updates from third parties off).:smile:

Edit:  Since getting the latest version of Windows 10 (v1709), I cannot install any GPU updates from Nvidia.  If I try it will corrupt my system and use the Windows Display driver instead.  If I want to use Windows again, I must use system restore to get the old drivers back.

That is the exact reason that I stayed with Windows 7, don't like MS messing with my simulator or PC at update time. This is the first time I have seen windows messing with my display drivers, which surprised me. I will look over these updates carefully from now before I OK them.