Sign in to follow this  
Terry O'Brien

how do I set altitude for autopilot landings

Hello PMDG .... what do I set my Landing altitude to for glideslope capture by auto pilot when the airport is not at sea level. Specifically KLAS is at 2122 ft  but when I set my landing Altitude to 2000 ft (PMDG Tutorial 1) the plane crashes on landing. So when the airport is above sea level what should I set my landing altitude to please? This is when the auto pilot asks me to reset my altitude for the landing approach. Thank you for the help.

10 minutes ago, Terry O'Brien said:

This is when the auto pilot asks me to reset my altitude for the landing approach. Thank you for the help.

The message RESET MCP ALT is not asking to reset altitude for landing, it is only asking to lower the altitude to allow descent.  VNAV will not descend below the altitude set on the MCP.  In the real world, you would set the altitude to whatever ATC cleared you to descend to..., usually this would be something like FL230 because that is the floor of the airspace that the controller you are talking to has control for.  In the sim world, you might want to set it for the lowest altitude on the STAR or some other value using your judgement.

Once the GS is captured and the FMA indicates GS for pitch then the MCP ALT should be set for the missed approach altitude.  Once on the GS, the MCP ALT setting will have no meaning until you decide to go around.

If this plane is crashing on landing, this has nothing to do with the automatic flight systems and everything to do with your piloting.  Are you attempting autolanding? You didn't say.  Normally, the pilot will disconnect A/P and A/T well before reaching minimums and hand fly to landing.  Autolandings are the exception, not the norm.

I assume you are using a current chart before you fly the KLAS ILS approach?

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you Dan for your reply and explanation. I have always used auto landings and have never used manual landings because I thought AUTO landings were the NORM!!!.

I will try hand flying in from now on.. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Terry O'Brien said:

I will try hand flying in from now on.. Thanks again. 

It is not a bad idea to watch what the A/P does during auto landing, now it is time to have everything stablized by 1000 AGL (landing flaps at Vref+5 constant speed constant descent) and using the "show throttle position" marks line up your throttle with the N1 and disconnect A/T.  Now disconnect A/P and follow the FD to the landing.  Start to pull back power to Vref over the numbers and by about 20-30 ft AGL have throttles closed and flare while watching the distant end of the runway to see your descent rate.  Don't over flare, it doesn't take much.  Have fun.

Dan Downs KCRP

Auto landings. I've done about 22 in flying the aircraft for 4 years. 

Golden rules for setup.

Approach entered into FMS. QDM set on both course selectors. Set the minimums to 50ft RADIO.

Both ILS boxes set correctly and identifying.

You will set MCP ALT to the platform level on the approach. Not below.

Set Autobrake to 2 or 3.

You should set FMS to F40 landing speeds.

Once this is done, you descend, set LOC as usual, capture the localiser, then select APP.

At any point now, you can select the second Autopilot. (prior to 1,500 ft if you can but 800ft absolute limit).

Complete config and landing checks.

At 1,500ft you see the ILS indications flash amber for a second. Then you will get FMA of CMD and Flare armed. If you have Fail-Operational option, then ROLLOUT will also now show in white.

At 400ft, the trim runs back for 3-4 seconds and yoke moves forward to compensate. 

At 50ft FLARE becomes active mode. At 27ft RETARD shows on Autothrottle.

On Touchdown, the autothrottle cuts out, you Disconnect the Autopilot and select reverse. 

If Fail operational, DO NOT DISCONNECT the autopilot. Just select reverse thrust only. ROLLOUT becomes active and keeps you on the centreline (it's meant to- good luck with that!).

Voila! Autoland for Dummies.

• Upvote 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!