Sign in to follow this  
Guest thedoggg

Dreamfleet Baron or F1 ATR-72 ?

Guys,I am looking at getting either the Baron or the ATR......problem is I am in two minds about which one to go for!I already have the A36 Bonanza so I am wondering if the Baron maybe too much of a good thing?On the other hand, the ATR looks a great turboprop simulation and as I enjoy the PSS Dash-8 (despite it's limitations) maybe the ATR would be something different at this point?All suggestions and opinions appreciated!Thanks,Glenn

I love the F1 ATR-72. I had always been a GA type person particulalry piston engines. the F1 ATR VC was what pulled me in.... I was watching the F1 forum and the screenshots and their videos while it was being developed and I got it knowing I'll probably lose interest after a while. Boy was I wrong. I got into it and loved flying it. IMO, it has the best VC (apart from Realair GA type VCs). The plane is a joy to fly. I have the Baron too. If you like GA non Turbine twins, its hard to beat. Looks wise they are very similar to the A36. But they are in a different class of airplanes.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest jboweruk

It really depends which you like flying, there really is no comparing PSS Dash 8 to the ATR, it's like a mini compared to a Rolls Royce. In fact the only Turboprop that compares is the Majestic Dash 8 Q300 with all it's bells and whistles.The Baron/Bonanza (I'll lump 'em together as the baron is basically a twin engine version) are both excellent GA aircraft, but if you want a small 'line' regional Turboprop you would be hard pressed to better the ATR. She has a learning curve, and you do have to read the manual to get the best out of her, but once you do she is one of the sweetest planes out there. That's from somebody who used to use her on a regular VA route, so racked up an awful lot of hours in her. I've also since having FSPax racked up a good few hours in the A36 and Baron, mostly the A36, but both of these are excellent aircraft in their own right. All 3 would make great additions to anyone's hangar, and I could not recommend any 1 over the others. But if it's a GA plane you want (low and not so slow) then the A36/B58 are your gals, if you want to haul 50 odd pax from point A to point B and you are prepared to put in a little ground school then the ATR is your lady.

Are the frames bad on the ATR then?My computer is an AMD A64 3500+ 1gig ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro.I also run PMDG 737, LVLD 767, Beech A36 with no problemsShould be ok?

Guest jboweruk

Not on my PC they aren't. Actually I get worse FPS from the Baron.

>Are the frames bad on the ATR then?>>My computer is an AMD A64 3500+ 1gig ram and a Radeon 9800>Pro.>>I also run PMDG 737, LVLD 767, Beech A36 with no problems>>Should be ok?No its not. For the quality and complexity its no more than an average addon. If you can fly those you listed... you should have no issues wihh the F1-ATR.BTW.. it maybe a complex aircraft that is only if you want to fly by the book. You can just as well warm start and hand fly the sucker all the way without touching the manuals until the time you get to read it and fly it utilizing everything the add on has got.I don't care for the tutorial that came with it. I am still waiting for a nice spoon fed tutorial with screen shots like you can find for the PMDG aircrats from the fsim comminity. But that never stopped me from enjoying this aircraft. Morever, as long as I can dial in a VOR and ILS frequency, I like flying the procedures like in a GA aircract... I am a happy camper.mm

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest martin842

I have an Athlon 2200+, running at 1.7GHz, and I have no problem running the ATR (though I don't use the VC). If you can run the Level-D, then you will have no problem with the ATR.A big advantage for the ATR is that you can also get FS2Crew for it, which I never fly the ATR without now.Martin

Guest thedoggg

ATR runs fine on my rig and should be fine on yours too.Regards, Carlos