Sign in to follow this  
Hegedus Marton

Simheaven X-Europe not working very well

Dear members,

The X-Europe just relased for XP11. I want to try it. I downloaded everything and installed correctly. During the flight I recognized a huge problem with this. Happened at Barcelona. I flew from Frankfurt to Barcelona and at Frankfurt everything is okay, I recognized the difference between the default scenery and the X-Europe scenery. Then I arrived to Barcelona and there were a lot of building missing in very huge number at center of the town, suburbs. If I use default scenery that is better than X-Europe. So? What is the problem with it? The number of object on MAX.

X-Europe displays scenery based on openstreetmap data: https://www.openstreetmap.org/

If there is no data in OSM, X-Europe won't be able to display it. In general, Germany has excellent OSM coverage, while Barcelona does indeed have a lot missing buildings. The good news is: You can create an account and edit OSM data yourself, e.g. add buildings. It's fairly easy. Eventually, these buildings will find their way into an updated release of X-Europe on which the author is already working. 

Adding OSM is a great way to contribute and it's easy. Many people have added their own towns or villages, and not only will you help X-Plane, but also the hundreds of other projects using OpenStreetMap, so it's worthwhile helping if you get time. 

For xEurope, and in some cases the default scenery, it's worth adding buildings and woodland. For buildings, try and include the number of stories of the building if it is bigger than 2, and also specify the type of building, e.g. residential, industrial etc.. This all helps make it more accurate. Once you have got used to editing OSM, it's possible to build up barren areas quite quickly.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:26 AM, Hegedus Marton said:

I see! Thank you for the information!

There is also an 'enhanced' XP default package, that is very good also. It not only covers Europe, but Australia, South America, North America, and many Provinces of Canada. I have everything installed, and it totally fills out areas you expect major autogen coverage to be visual.  Highly recommended.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/116181-enriched-autogen-by-luftbilderhd/& 

I would take the opportunity to download from the drop box sooner than later, as this could be no longer offered at any time, and for any reason.

I like the X-Europe scenery from Simheaven except that autogen buildings are all over the X Plane Global Airports scenery, apartment buildings on top of hangars etc. really annoying...

Torfi

On 18.2.2018 at 0:36 AM, torfih said:

I like the X-Europe scenery from Simheaven except that autogen buildings are all over the X Plane Global Airports scenery, apartment buildings on top of hangars etc. really annoying...

That shouldn't be the case. Can you give me an example of an airport where you experience this so I can check in my sim? In any case, make sure that Global Airports are above X-Europe in your scenery config.

14 hours ago, domae001 said:

That shouldn't be the case. Can you give me an example of an airport where you experience this so I can check in my sim? In any case, make sure that Global Airports are above X-Europe in your scenery config.

BIIS, BIVM, BIMS, BISF, BIBA, BISS

The order is correct in my scenery config file

Torfi

Those are some cute little places, love it! I can confirm your problem: the houses do indeed shine through the airport buildings. The problem probably lies between OSM and X-Europe: in OSM, the airports seem to not have been correctly marked. The airport buildings are marked as buildings, but the airport area itself isn't properly marked with a polygon. That's why X-Europe doesn't have any clue that these are airport buildings and places them as regular buildings. The solution is to properly fence the airport areas of in OSM. I just did that for BIIS. The changes should make it into a subsequent update of X-Europe.

If you want the rest to be changed, just make an OSM account, follow the tutorial and then it's fairly easy to properly mark the airport areas.

Edited by domae001

On 2/24/2018 at 0:23 AM, domae001 said:

Those are some cute little places, love it! I can confirm your problem: the houses do indeed shine through the airport buildings. The problem probably lies between OSM and X-Europe: in OSM, the airports seem to not have been correctly marked. The airport buildings are marked as buildings, but the airport area itself isn't properly marked with a polygon. That's why X-Europe doesn't have any clue that these are airport buildings and places them as regular buildings. The solution is to properly fence the airport areas of in OSM. I just did that for BIIS. The changes should make it into a subsequent update of X-Europe.

If you want the rest to be changed, just make an OSM account, follow the tutorial and then it's fairly easy to properly mark the airport areas.

thanks, I was already registered at OSM but I have not been very active there. I was editing roads and waterways now I will fix this. Nice!

Torfi

54 minutes ago, torfih said:

thanks, I was already registered at OSM but I have not been very active there. I was editing roads and waterways now I will fix this. Nice!

You're very welcome! According to this thread (unfortunately only in German: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/129530-simheaven-x-europe/&page=22 ) the author is currently preparing V1.1 and I assume he will download a fresh data set of OSM so all your changes should make it if you're lucky!