Sign in to follow this  
DannyR

GTN 750 Waypoints Limit

Why is there a limit on user waypoints?  I fly on multiple VAs and the number of custom waypoints across these VAs easily exceeds 1000.  I have made mulitiple waypoint files and can and do switch between them as needed, but, it would be much easier to have just one waypoint files. 

Thanks,

Danny

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DannyR said:

Why is there a limit on user waypoints?  I fly on multiple VAs and the number of custom waypoints across these VAs easily exceeds 1000.  I have made mulitiple waypoint files and can and do switch between them as needed, but, it would be much easier to have just one waypoint files. 

Thanks,

Danny

Danny,
It is my understanding that the limitations on custom stored items are limitations of the actual Garmin GTN Trainer, which underlies this simulator product.  i.e. it is running via that trainer and thus limited to what the trainer allows.

Actually I just looked at Garmins documentation for the actual GTN 650 (the instrument itself, not the trainer) and it has the limitation of 1,000. Now. With the RXP GTN you can double that to 2,000 as you have two instruments, ex. 750_1 and 750_2, each with its own memory.  You just need to regionalize what you store in each one, of course with some overlap, and merely edit the panel.cfg file to change from 750_1 to 750_2 or back.  I do this for flight plans.  My shorter lower altitude flight plans are in 750_2. My longer higher altitude flight plans are in 750_1.

That said, you can also create files of your custom waypoints and import them at will.  Just need to delete others in real time to make room.  So you can build as many as you want  in files and just rotate them in and out based on where you are flying.  I have done flight plans this way in the GNS series, which limits flight plans to 20.  I have not done it with custom waypoints but understand it can be similarly done.   For more information you might do a search for the following Garmin document to refer to.

Guideline for GTN Flight Plan and User Waypoint Files 

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 2

Thanks, Frank.  That is very helpful.

Danny