Sign in to follow this  
Nigel

Unable to customize weather

After reinstalling Win 10 I downloaded and installed X Plane 11 which I purchased about 2 weeks ago so new to this platform although I have been with FS9 and FSX for many years.

I set myself up with a flight and was able to customise my weather but, after doing a couple of flights I found that I could no longer access customize weather, all I can do is use the slider below but not able to change wind direction, height of clouds etc.  When I put my curser over the icon and press my mouse button nothing happens. 

Addon scenery via FTX Central 3 were 3 freeware airports - Hamar Stafsberg -  Orsta-Volda Airport and Oceano Airport.  The only anomaly that I found was with Orsta-Volda Airport  whereby one end of the runway had a huge hump in it near the threshold ( Did not have it there before having to reinstall Win 10).  Also have 3 plugins, FlyWithLua, HeadShake and X Camera.

Have no idea why I now cannot use the customisation icon and this only came to my notice after I installed the above addons (and don't honestly think that they are connected to my problem).

For your information, I had only just re downloaded X Plane 11 today (do not have DVD Discs) so hoping that this problem does not require a new download.

Just hope that somebody can give me some help or advise.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Nigel.

Edited by Nigel

First thing to try whenever X-Plane gets weird is to quit the program, then go into your XP directory and delete your "X-Plane.prf" preferences file:

X-Plane 11/Output/preferences/X-Plane.prf

The file will be rebuilt the next time you launch the sim. This won't touch any of your joystick/controller settings which are in a different file. You'll only have to reset your graphics settings if you changed them from default.

If that doesn't work, then try clicking on Update with the "X-Plane 11 Installer.exe" program. This only updates the main program so it doesn't take as long as a full installation, most of which is downloading terrain files.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

You can not change the weather when current weather is selected. You can change this in the lower left corner in a drop down menu.

Edited by jh71

Hello Paraffin, did as you suggested but could not access customize weather, set the aircraft at an airfield then moved the slider across and was able to change the weather but...….When I shut down the sim to try again, back where I started, unable to make changes through the Customize Weather icon.  

jh71, when I had X-Plane running prior to having to reinstall Win 10, I was able to select the weather OK, it is only since Win 10 reinstall that this problem has come about and only after I installed plugins and Downloaded FTX Central 3 and downloaded freeware airports from Orbx, the only other addition was installing my Track IR and had a bit of a problem trying to get it to start in with X Plane though worked fine in FSX.  Where you wrote:  

You can not change the weather when current weather is selected. You can change this in the lower left corner in a drop down menu.

I am a bit lost with this, could you advise me where the drop down menu is please as have tried to locate it without any luck.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Nigel.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Hello Paraffin, did as you suggested but could not access customize weather, set the aircraft at an airfield then moved the slider across and was able to change the weather but...….When I shut down the sim to try again, back where I started, unable to make changes through the Customize Weather icon.  

The only other thing I can think of, is that it might be the HeadShake or X Camera plugins causing a conflict. I think I remember something about one of those causing issues back when XP11 was first introduced. I don't know if it was resolved (I don't use those plugins). Anyway, try removing those temporarily from the plugins folder.

Hi Paraffin, I did remove both those plugins but to no avail however I had also posted in the Question & Answer Site at X-Plane and one user also had this problem but found a workaround but has to be done every time X-Plane is started.

In the Graphics Menu go to windowed mode then back to full screen and on trying that I found that I can now access the Customize Icon so now working fine.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Regards

Nigel.

If you can recreate this behaviour, I think you best file a bug report with Laminar.

I do think it is weird.

Edited by jh71

Yep, file a bug report on this one. It sounds like something that's only affecting certain systems. Here's the link, just follow the instructions for uploading the necessary files:

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Hi jh71 and Paraffin, I certainly will do that in the hope that they may be able to replicate this problem and maybe find a permanent fix.

Once again, many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Regards

Nigel.

Just to let you know a bug report has been sent.  Should I receive any feedback or result I will let you know.

Regards

Nigel.

Just to let you chaps know, as yet I have had no further feedback from Jennifer at X Plane regarding this issue, they had requested copy of my Preferences Folder as well as my Graphic Settings but nothing further as of yet.

Maybe they cannot replicate this problem and that is why I have not as yet heard anything.  The issue still remains though I still use the workaround by setting my graphics to windowed mode then back to full screen which is no big problem.

Regards

Nigel.

I was having the same problem after the latest windows 10 update, can no longer customize weather...

Solution

Press the WINDOWS LOGO KEY on keyboard....Now it will allow you to click on customize to switch to the weather customization page...