Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

RAF 100 Tour, Part 1

This year, Britain's Royal Air Force is celebrating its centenary and there are real world commemoration events planned throughout the summer.  So I thought we could join in with a couple of RAF-themed Saturday flights.  These will take place on the next two Saturdays, 12th and 19th May.  We are going to start in the far southwest and make our way over the two weeks to the north of Scotland, dropping in at RAF airfields past and present on the way.

We'll have a gentle start from Newquay Airport EGHQ, the former RAF St Mawgan. Up the north coast of Cornwall and Devon to RAF Chivenor EGDC, followed by a long leg to RAF Brize Norton EGVN. That's the straighforward stuff over, now we're going to have a few challenges thrown in.  Leave Brize Norton and head for Wembley Stadium (WP1) in north London, after which we're going to try a formation flight over Buckingham Palace and along The Mall - the traditional way the RAF celebrates any event. My thought is to gather over Wembley and form up as we fly towards WP2 (actually Chelsea FC's ground, Stamford Bridge - feel free to drop any spare ordnance at this point). We then turn towards the Palace (WP3) and have 2 miles to get ourselves in order before overflying it and heading up The Mall to Admiralty Arch WP4 (no it's too small, before anyone thinks of it). This could of course turn into a complete shambles but let's give it a go. If we get a good turnout on Saturday maybe it would be best done in smaller groups. We then fly on down the River Thames towards Tower Bridge WP5.  Not that I'm suggesting anything, but an RAF pilot flew a Hawker Hunter through the span of the bridge exactly 50 years ago....  WP6 marks the turn to approach Biggin Hill, EGKB.

After Biggin Hill we go to East Anglia to visit RAF Wattisham EGUW and RAF Marham EGYM, followed by RAF Waddington EGXW in Lincolnshire.  Then another long leg to get us across to Wales and the Mach Loop.  As many circuits as you like or until you bend your aircraft (in which case I suggest restarting at Llanbedr EGOD), then on to our destination for the week at RAF Valley EGOV on Anglesey.

Aircraft suggestions have already been made in the advance warning thread.  The plan is built for subsonic jets; if you don't feel like a jet then a warbird or fast GA would be best, ideally something that can get on the top side of 250kts.

Flight plans

PLN format

GFP format

Scenery

I think just about everyone has Orbx England, which gives some upgrades to the airfields we will visit.  However, there are some nice freewares out there that I have confirmed work at least acceptably in P3D v4.

Newquay Airport: William Mayne / South West Scenery (on AVSIM)

Biggin Hill: Mark Piccolo / Soarfly Concepts (on AVSIM)

Wattisham: ACG Airfield Construction Group (on AVSIM). SODE and SimObjects part of the installation optional, we don't need them for our purposes.

Valley: MSPG Simulations

Waddington: following this post I will email as many of you as I have addresses for a link to a Waddington scenery I have adapted for P3D v4. If you haven't received an email, message me with your email address and I will send you the link also.

London: as we know, central London is challenging for flight simulators.  Most of you already know these tricks, but to improve performance I suggest the following: (i) deactivate any addons for the big London airports, we don't need them; (ii) no or minmal AI (road traffic, boats); (iii) turn autogen down a notch or two (especially buildings).

Where & When

Date and time: Saturday 12th May, 2018, 1800 UTC. 

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).
If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

Setting your clocks for 1430 local time at the start of the flight should bring us to the Mach Loop about 5-5:30pm. You don't want to be doing that at night (unless you're Gunter!).

• Upvote 1

Great plan Nick, that will be fun!

May I suggest that we form up that RAF Celebration Formation well ahead of the Wembley Stadium. We are all not too familiar with these jets and we cover the short distances rather quickly....

And no, you don't want to fly the Mach Loop at night. Unless you have a working TF-Radar -set to hard ride - and a stomach that is not too sensitive....

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

20 hours ago, CavalierDuck said:

RAF pilot flew a Hawker Hunter through the span of the bridge exactly 50 years ago....

...and subsequently lost his job! A bit of a rebel I understand. ✌️

I keep chuckling to myself in anticipation of a hoot of a flight. :happy:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Oops! I forgot RAF Marham; it's in the flight plan but I left it off the scenery list.  Here it is, and it's a nice one:

RAF Marham: John Young / ACG (on AVSIM)

Unfortunately, as a result of a previous obligation, I won't be able to make this flight...so disappointing too, as I'll miss the formation flight. Have fun all, and I'll see you for Part 2.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

A Schoolboy View of the RAF's Red Arrows

The RAF is now 100 years old. For 54 of those years, the Red Arrows have been the official display team. Comprised of operational RAF pilots, who spend a few years with the team and then move on, the "Reds" have flown 4900 displays in 57 countries.

Fly with the Red Arrows
High production film of the Red Arrows in action from the pilot's point of view. (For 3D High Definition presentation The Science Museum London). [7:31]
Play at HD resolution. Not quite Texans, but satisfactory.

Britain's Ultimate Pilots – the Red Arrows
Up close with the Reds at Scampton, Biggin Hill and over Buckingham Palace (2015)
The usual TV-manufactured melodrama, but entertaining nevertheless. [59:05]
Part of a longer BBC series "Britain's Ultimate Pilots – Inside the RAF".

Lewis Hamilton and David Coulthard backseating with the Red Arrows (2013)
Two ordinary blokes get a ride.  [5:59]

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Thanks for the links Mike, stunning videos!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Great flight Nick, thanks a lot! It was really fun, especially in the Canberra around the Mach Loop! Too bad I'll be missing part 2.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

What a celebration! First exciting thing to happen was to only be able to start my F86 by sheer luck!

Second, when switching to the L-39 I fumed and raged over its inability to start...Only to discover it had no bloody fuel in it!

Third, at 15,000ft I made the decision to turn on my oxygen, but only when the screen turned black and I couldn't find the knob.

Lastly, to top off a terrific, action packed evening, the Mach Loop. I found it impossible to keep up with the pack only to find (you'll like this bit) I'd left the sodding wheels down! But not until I'd down 3 or 4 circuits! Doh!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.