Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

Random lag freezes with high-end system

Hello,

see my system specification in my signature. 

I usually get a good average fps, but there are frequent lag freezes (duration for approximately 0,5 to 1 second). It also happens at the least convenient time - at flare. Yesterday I was approaching Genova in FSLabs A320, got a freeze just before 30 feet AGL and I wasn't able to flare correctly - smashed it -850 feet/minute. Had to cancel the whole flight in ProjectFLY so it didn't ruin my stats. 

What could possibly be the issue of this? Any ideas?

Thank you.
Tomas

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

Without Info about other addons running and which resolution there is barely a chance to identify a problem.

And with an 4790K with 8 GB of RAM your far from an high-end system, i would that call more an mediocre SIM-PC.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Just now, JoeFackel said:

Without Info about other addons running and which resolution there is barely a chance to identify a problem.

And with an 4790K with 8 GB of RAM your far from an high-end system, i would that call more an mediocre SIM-PC.

1080p, add-ons: Active Sky 4, ASCA, ChasePlane, ORBX Global, Pilot's FS Global Next Generation, Terra Flora, Envtex, Envshade, TrackIR, FsLabs A320. Custom airports.

overclocked 4790K is still considered high-end in my opinion. RAM is a bottle neck for me, but it's definitely high-end. 

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, JoeFackel said:

Are you kidding? 4790k although as 4 years now is still a great cpu, i can tell you that i upgrade from a i7 4790k to the one in my signature and the performance increase was very marginal...the ram yes, he needs at least 16GB, hes probably doing cache and can be one of the factors that causes stutters.

Edited by dmarques69

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

3 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Are you kidding? 4790k although as 4 years now is still a great cpu, i can tell you that i upgrade from a i7 4790k to the one in my signature and the performance increase was very marginal...the ram yes, he needs at least 16GB, hes probably doing cache and can be one of the factors that causes stutters.

I think so too 🙂 Saying that 4790K is "far from high-end" seems funny to me. 

The RAM is an issue, but I don't have the resources to buy a new one at the moment, as I'm spending the summer in the USA and it's quite expensive. 

But after I return to Europe, I plan to buy RAM, 4K monitor, 5+1 audio system and perhaps some add-ons. Also I'm waiting for the release of the next gen CPUs.

Do you think that 16 GB is a good choice, strategically? Or would it be better to aim for 32 GB? 

And do you think that RAM causes the issue for me? Or could it be something else? 

Tomáš Pokorný

1 minute ago, Thomasso said:

I think so too 🙂 Saying that 4790K is "far from high-end" seems funny to me. 

The RAM is an issue, but I don't have the resources to buy a new one at the moment, as I'm spending the summer in the USA and it's quite expensive. 

But after I return to Europe, I plan to buy RAM, 4K monitor, 5+1 audio system and perhaps some add-ons. Also I'm waiting for the release of the next gen CPUs.

Do you think that 16 GB is a good choice, strategically? Or would it be better to aim for 32 GB? 

And do you think that RAM causes the issue for me? Or could it be something else? 

Tomas from my experience 16GB is enough for P3D depending on your settings and addons, i have 32GB because of X-plane and the orthos that are ram eaters! As for 4k, its great, but it gives you a kick in the balls in terms of performance, and that FSlabs is not an easy boy in that field, keep that in mind 😉

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

3 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Tomas from my experience 16GB is enough for P3D depending on your settings and addons, i have 32GB because of X-plane and the orthos that are ram eaters! As for 4k, its great, but it gives you a kick in the balls in terms of performance, and that FSlabs is not an easy boy in that field, keep that in mind 😉

Thanks for the opinion, Marques 🙂 . However, how do we know that there won't be any RAM eaters in P3D in a few years? 🙂

Yeah, I've heard that about 4K. Even 1080 Ti suffers a lot? You can lower the AA settings with 4K, right?

Tomáš Pokorný

I doubt that your long pauses are due to the RAM, but it could theoretically make things worse. First, I would definitely try an AF=85 to see if this eliminates the long pauses. Also worth checking: FSUIPC autosave should be off. Then I would play around with the FPS slider in P3D together with VSYNC and TripleBuffering to find the best tradeoff setup for your rig regarding FPS, smoothness and blurred terrain textures. Might even be that you need more than one setup depending on where you fly. In my case for example, the settings providing the best experience over ORBX TE Netherlands are useless anywhere else, so i have a special graphics setup dedicated for this scenery.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

4 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

Thanks for the opinion, Marques 🙂 . However, how do we know that there won't be any RAM eaters in P3D in a few years? 🙂

Yeah, I've heard that about 4K. Even 1080 Ti suffers a lot? You can lower the AA settings with 4K, right?

Well Its hard to know, but the trend it that the new addons are more ram eaters... if you are planning to change the CPU in a short period dont waste money in 32gb or ram now, because your are going to buy new ram again, and the ram is in gold values now.

As for the 4k, the 1080 ti suffers as any GPU, but as a beast she is, can handle it, but those great 60/70 fps of full hd are gone, and yes you can and need to lower AA in 4k.

Marques

19 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I doubt that your long pauses are due to the RAM, but it could theoretically make things worse. First, I would definitely try an AF=85 to see if this eliminates the long pauses. Also worth checking: FSUIPC autosave should be off. Then I would play around with the FPS slider in P3D together with VSYNC and TripleBuffering to find the best tradeoff setup for your rig regarding FPS, smoothness and blurred terrain textures. Might even be that you need more than one setup depending on where you fly. In my case for example, the settings providing the best experience over ORBX TE Netherlands are useless anywhere else, so i have a special graphics setup dedicated for this scenery.

Those are very interesting tips, thanks 🙂

• FSLabs recommend turning AF off, so I did. But I guess that I can try that anyway...
  • FSUIPC autosave off? 😮 but what if I get a CTD after 7 hour flight?

I use SimStarter NG, so I have setting profiles for every situation that I appear in 🙂 

19 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Well Its hard to know, but the trend it that the new addons are more ram eaters... if you are planning to change the CPU in a short period dont waste money in 32gb or ram now, because your are going to buy new ram again, and the ram is in gold values now.

As for the 4k, the 1080 ti suffers as any GPU, but as a beast she is, can handle it, but those great 60/70 fps of full hd are gone, and yes you can and need to lower AA in 4k.

Well the new CPUs shouldn't be out till late 2019 if I'm correct. 

Yeah, but isn't the 4K worth it anyway? 😄 

Tomáš Pokorný