Sign in to follow this  
Jihong Min

P3D on Dell XPS 15 w/ 8950HK@~4.8GHz and GTX1050ti

Hello to all!

I'm using MSI GS65(8750H@~4.1GHz+ and GTX1070 MAX-Q) for playing P3D v4.2(1920*1080,  4096*4096 Texture w/ 16x anisotropic filtering + 8x SSAA, NO Mipmap+FXAA, everything else is default setting).

I'm getting 40~60fps(avg. 45~55) with PMDG 777. Although 8750H is 6-core(12-thread), P3Dv4 always utilizes 100% in #0 thread and low % in other threads. GPU usage always reaches ~100%. This is probably due to the nature of how P3D utilizes the multicore CPU. Most of code runs on the first single core, and other jobs like texture loading runs in parallel cores, which isn't too much of problem, I guess.

I have run some test.

If I get the AA setting lower, GPU usage drops and frame is fixed at ~75fps(avg. 55~65fps) even if I get the setting even lower. 

If I get the graphics setting maxed out, the fps is about ~30fps, but didn't lower the CPU usage. In usual cases, if the burden of GPU increases, that of CPU has to be decreased since CPU has to wait the each GPU's frame task.

(#edit: P.S I could confirm this by lowering CPU clocks to 2.0/3.0/4.0GHz and do tests. The fps decreases very greatly, compared to the above test)  

So it's mean that the CPU lacks power very much. More precisely, since the cpu usage of other 5 cores is low, it's about the single core performance(IPC*clocks with cache size problem).

Today I heard about Dell's new XPS 15, which can be configured to have i9-8950hk(more cache(12MB vs 9MB) and clock(4.8GHz vs 4.1GHz) and GTX1050ti(I don't know whether it's MAX-Q(lower TDP == Performance) or not).

I'm considering to replace my current laptop with this. But I'm concerning the performance of poor GPU(1050TI). So my question is this...

Which is the better laptop for running P3D with above in-game settings between GS65 and XPS15?

Edited by Jihong Min

Are you locking your framerate in the sim?  If so try with it set to Unlimited.  You can use an external frame limiter (nVidia Inspector works and offers other benefits to P3Dv4).

Greg

2 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Are you locking your framerate in the sim?  If so try with it set to Unlimited.  You can use an external frame limiter (nVidia Inspector works and offers other benefits to P3Dv4).

Greg

I already set the frame limiter to Unlimited. 

BTW, what is NVIDIA Inspector for? What benefits are there for P3Dv4?

I have a MSI GT73 with I7-7700, nividia 1070 8gig, 16 gigs of ram, M.2 drives etc. It runs P3d very well. With reference to the XP15 I think you will find the 1050 is not up to the task in comparison to the 1070.

Dave