Sign in to follow this  
hossfly72

Trouble with Fixer reinstall after FSX reinstall

Unistalled FSX, SP1 and SP2 and reinstalled them. Then went to reinstall the Fixer. Seems to install correctly and launches afterwards, but the path to FSX is empty and the "Change" button is grayed out. It's version 3.4 Build 108.

The ini file appears in my App Data/Local folder.. DX10 preview is checked in FsX. What am I missing?

Go into preferences and select allow emergency change of path which will resolve things  - you will then be able to enter the fsx path.

The fixer has a state file which records the state of the fsx system ( path, whether libraries are installed, whether effects have been changed either)

To avoid issues if someone uninstalls the fixer and reinstalls it without first uninstalling the libraries this file persists over a fixer uninstall/install.

However in the scenario where fsx and the fixer are both uninstalled  without first uninstalling the fixer libraries this file can instead leave the fixer somewhat confused.  

I cannot reconcile these two scenarios hence I added the emergency change of path option to provide a manual fix.

The correct procedure to remove the fixer is always to uninstall the libraries before uninstalling  the fixer which avoids any of this but I completely understand the sequence of events and how this can be less than obvious.

Edited by SteveFx

Thank you so much, Steve! I didn't even notice that option in the Preferences! I knew it couldn't have been a big thing on a fresh install though.

The bonus is that now cloud shadows are showing up! This gives a whole new life to the sim. Thank you for all of your work on these issues!