Sign in to follow this  
kenny584

Carenado Phenom 300 engines.

Hi Folks.

I have been simming a long time and am able to change reg. numbers on the fuselage of aircraft. However, I'd like to change the reg. on the engines of the Carenado Phenom 300. The engines are split into two different panels with part of the reg. on the top half and the remainder on the bottom half of the engine cowling. Not only that, the two parts are curved as are the reg. letters.

I am thinking about making selections and pasting a new image to work on and then pasting back onto the texture sheet but there is a lot to think about. I would appreciate any hints and tips. I am using PSP 2018 Ultimate and DXT2bmp. There does not seem to be a paint kit for this aircraft although there is a blank white texture. I understand about the use of layers but there are no separate layers here. I'm fairly savvy but a bit stuck now.

Regards...Kenny

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kenny584 said:

Hi Folks.

I have been simming a long time and am able to change reg. numbers on the fuselage of aircraft. However, I'd like to change the reg. on the engines of the Carenado Phenom 300. The engines are split into two different panels with part of the reg. on the top half and the remainder on the bottom half of the engine cowling. Not only that, the two parts are curved as are the reg. letters.

I am thinking about making selections and pasting a new image to work on and then pasting back onto the texture sheet but there is a lot to think about. I would appreciate any hints and tips. I am using PSP 2018 Ultimate and DXT2bmp. There does not seem to be a paint kit for this aircraft although there is a blank white texture. I understand about the use of layers but there are no separate layers here. I'm fairly savvy but a bit stuck now.

Regards...Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Welcome to the world of Carenado/Alabeo painting - which has been a source of aggravation and frustration for many... I'm a fairly experienced PSP x9 painter and working on their aircraft takes much longer than most - requiring many unnecessarily tedious hours of pixel by pixel manipulation... While I don't have this aircraft - I have painted others of theirs... Carenado/Alabeo textures almost seem optimized by some automated process - that chops them up by some defined algorithm to make the most efficient use of a texture sheet much to the chagrin of painters... 

A couple suggestions - first off I usually take the white paint and place that underneath as my base layer - then if modifying an existing paint - I put that on a layer above - that way If I need to erase something that is painted - the white details will show through from below...

A simple registration change is one of the easier tasks - but - complicated by Carenado/Alabeo because they included the shading/shadow layer as part of the single layered texture... I'd start by trying to fill the old reg numbers with the base color - while matching any gradients they may have - the "Clone Tool" may come in handy for that - as you can copy selectively from adjacent materials...

As for the new registration - put them on a new layer which will allow you to create multiple copies of the complete registration - then you can paste them where needed and manipulate as required...

Are you familiar with Layer Types ? This is how you paint a white texture without obscuring the details - the legendary Bill Womack created a great tutorial that helped me a great deal... See video: 

There are no easy shortcuts with these paints and they aren't the best for beginners - as there are far better paint kits available for other models... Just pure determination, tedious trial/error, and grit will get you there... 

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613

Hi Scott.

Thanks for the info and the link. My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, my pc went belly up after installing a new USB card. All okay now though. I'll set up the layers I need and pay attention to those pesky pixels.

Cheers..Kenny.