Sign in to follow this  
SoloPilot

Question about "Ultra Realistic Videos"

How do YouTubers make these videos with a bunch of addons and make it look super realistic without Out of Memory errors from exceeding the VAS limit? If I were to install those addons and run flights, my VAS would be going haywire!

For a kick off, a lot of the flight sim clips are recorded using some very simple tricks: A common one is that the flight sim is recodrded with it running at a slower than normal speed, the recording is then speeded up in a video editing program. If you record at 60 fps (which FRAPS can do for example), but play back at twice speed, you get a very smooth 30 fps playback, which will look good because your computer had twice the time available to process screen drawing when the recording was made. 

Another thing which is done, is the video is edited from many short clips, which might not seem like it would improve the looks, but doing that means you can pick the settings best suited to the subject, for example, very high anti aliasing to make PFD text look super clear on a VC clip, but less anti aliasing on an external shot to make terrain look more distant. VAS OOM crashes do don't typically come on instantaneously, so you could make a recording of a take off from a very detailed airport in FSX which might well use up a lot of VAS, then end that flight, then start a new flight and make a recording of the trip, end that flight, then make a recording of the landing at another fancy airport on yet another flight. Edit these together to make it look like its simply a view switch in the flight sim and nobody will know it isn't one flight.

Beyond this, professional NLE programs such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Apple Motion and Apple Final Cut Pro X etc, have very sophisticated post-processing capabilities because they are intended for editing movies and TV shows and adding the CGI special effects to them. If your FSX clips are edited in these, there are a number of effects you can add which will make them look much better. To give you two examples of the very many things you could do with these NLEs...  you can add frame blending to simulate shutter blur which will reduce  frame rate flicker and add a bit of motion blur, you can sharpen clips, or even sharpen certain areas of as clip and mask that effect to simulate camera depth of field and so on.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

13 hours ago, Chock said:

For a kick off, a lot of the flight sim clips are recorded using some very simple tricks: A common one is that the flight sim is recodrded with it running at a slower than normal speed, the recording is then speeded up in a video editing program. If you record at 60 fps (which FRAPS can do for example), but play back at twice speed, you get a very smooth 30 fps playback, which will look good because your computer had twice the time available to process screen drawing when the recording was made. 

Another thing which is done, is the video is edited from many short clips, which might not seem like it would improve the looks, but doing that means you can pick the settings best suited to the subject, for example, very high anti aliasing to make PFD text look super clear on a VC clip, but less anti aliasing on an external shot to make terrain look more distant. VAS OOM crashes do don't typically come on instantaneously, so you could make a recording of a take off from a very detailed airport in FSX which might well use up a lot of VAS, then end that flight, then start a new flight and make a recording of the trip, end that flight, then make a recording of the landing at another fancy airport on yet another flight. Edit these together to make it look like its simply a view switch in the flight sim and nobody will know it isn't one flight.

Beyond this, professional NLE programs such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Apple Motion and Apple Final Cut Pro X etc, have very sophisticated post-processing capabilities because they are intended for editing movies and TV shows and adding the CGI special effects to them. If your FSX clips are edited in these, there are a number of effects you can add which will make them look much better. To give you two examples of the very many things you could do with these NLEs...  you can add frame blending to simulate shutter blur which will reduce  frame rate flicker and add a bit of motion blur, you can sharpen clips, or even sharpen certain areas of as clip and mask that effect to simulate camera depth of field and so on.

Ohhhhhh, okay. Thank you :)

Also they might be just raw sim footage. OOM's are a thing of the past with the 64bit Simulators

1 minute ago, Avidean said:

Also they might be just raw sim footage. OOM's are a thing of the past with the 64bit Simulators

I'm talking specifically about FSX:SE, where OOM's still exist because it's a 32-bit simulator

I often wondered this when i first started out, i then learned that they use tricks such as 1/2 speed recording and adobe aftereffects. I try and steer clear of these sort of videos and find ones from people that just upload their raw footage. When i decided to record my videos i made the decision to upload what i see on my screen. It gives the viewer a more realistic expectation of what they can also achieve using their own rig.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

21 hours ago, Dazkent said:

I often wondered this when i first started out, i then learned that they use tricks such as 1/2 speed recording and adobe aftereffects. I try and steer clear of these sort of videos and find ones from people that just upload their raw footage. When i decided to record my videos i made the decision to upload what i see on my screen. It gives the viewer a more realistic expectation of what they can also achieve using their own rig.

I’ve recently done the same when watching FSX videos, because I want to see what is actually there, not the unrealistic stuff

• Like 1