Sign in to follow this  
Guest jmarcure

I

Guest jmarcure

My flight sim folders are a mess with loads of both pay and freeware. After a freeware download frenzy I

Before going off the deep end, why not simply try renaming the fs9.cfg file and allowing the sim to build a new one?This way, if your problem is solved, you can just cut-n-paste the keyboard and joystick assignments from the renamed fs9.cfg file to the new one.In my experience, "reinstalling" FS is rarely necessary.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jmarcure

I didn't think of that.I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens.Thanks.Later,Jon

I've recently just done this and I was back up andd running in a couple of hours. It's not painful if you're organised.It really pays to store all your addons etc on another drive where you can systematically work back through them and reinstall them. This is mainly planes, as scenery can be copied away as is and moved back later. Also keep all your purchase emails with all those keys and codes so you can reinstall all your payware stuff. Any visual tweaks, modules etc you should also keep separate to just drop back in.The biggest tip I can give you is when you reinstall FS and patch it up to 9.1 - copy this whole thing somewhere safe. This is your safety net in case things go wrong. It also really speeds up any further reinstalls later. Best of all - it's a good time to really question all the bloated addons you may be running and get back to a lean FS. I should do this more often as my sim is running immaculately stunning and fluid now with just UT, GE Pro, ASV, VOZ, FE and PMDG and PSS planes.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest jmarcure

I have a notepad list of all my codes as I think it is easier to back-up that way.The bloat is really the main reason that I'm thinking of the reinstall. I've got so many add-ons, (gigabytes), that I never use.I figure I'll just load up the stuff I use the most and hope FS runs better.Going forward I just got to learn to not install so much. Later,Jon

In the process of preparing to start my classes, I reinstalled FS a few times and took notes on my process. You can see that process at my site (click the link below) and go to "Using Microsoft Flight Simulator" and then click on "Installation". You'll probably want to check out the other links, too.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Hello,I have a rather big fs9 setup and a lot of addons. My best suggestion is to use something like Acronis True Image and a backup drive. Almost every time I expand my setup with a new addon I get something I don't like or a system problem introduced into the system. I don't like MS Backup or their rollback system so I use the Acronis.Prior to installing an addon. I use the Acronis True Image to make a complete image of my system on the backup drive. My current system uses two 72 GIG drives and I send the Acronis Image to another drive (network). I have reloaded my system numerous times and have even recovered from total system failures via an Acronis "Startup" cd that I burned for my Windows XP system.The recovery system has allowed me to "rollback" my flight sim in about 15 minutes. One word of warning - the images reset your ENTIRE system back to the image date/time so all emails and browser info is lost unless you make an image of the system prior to rollback.Cheers,Ron SagelNEAR KCHS