Sign in to follow this  
NismoRR

CH Eclipse yoke paddles question

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So this yoke has these funky paddles on the side with the main use as rudder inputs. I have pedals but am curious if you could press both paddles in at the same time,unlike the way rudder pedals work, press down on right rudder and left pedal moves towards you. I'm thinking these would work well for me as reversers if they can both be pressed at the same time. Any thoughts? 

Edited by NismoRR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, NismoRR said:

So this yoke has these funky paddles on the side with the main use as rudder inputs. I have pedals but am curious if you could press both paddles in at the same time,unlike the way rudder pedals work, press down on right rudder and left pedal moves towards you. I'm thinking these would work well for me as reversers if they can both be pressed at the same time. Any thoughts? 

Nope, it is a single potentiometer that rotates if either paddle is pushed or pulled. The only way I could makes sense of it as a rudder control is if you somehow find a way to operate it with one thumb. You could use it as an analogue reverse axis if you use FSUIPC and linked both axes together. That would be better than the typical way, which is to have independent but all-or-nothing reversers on your throttle quad detents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad. Strange because many newer people to flight sim without rudder pedals use those paddles as rudder, and are advertised by CH that way. I'll have to figure out something else for those paddles, maybe to adjust the heading bug or something like that. For reverserers, maybe the horizontal rocker switches on the top of each side of the yoke handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NismoRR said:

I'll have to figure out something else for those paddles, maybe to adjust the heading bug or something like that

Not sure that would work, it's an analogue axis. I used it for spoilers on gliders. For reverse an analogue control is useful, at least on turboprops (I mostly fly the Twin Otter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So those paddles will work as reversers. Good! I'm a Twotter fan, though yet to have it in Xplane. I was thinking for the Kodiak, and the Eclipse vlj.

 

More importantly than the paddles, how do you like the Eclipse yoke overall?  I'm coming from the original CH which is really sticky and springy at the center, making landing/flaring (amongst several other things) a much larger event than it needs to be. lol I really wanted to spend more and get a better yoke,  but there's literally nothing in the $400-500 range. Should be delivered today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, NismoRR said:

So those paddles will work as reversers. Good! I'm a Twotter fan, though yet to have it in Xplane. I was thinking for the Kodiak, and the Eclipse vlj.

You can set up the paddles to do anything that can be mapped to a single analogue axis. With FSUIPC you get two analogue reverser axes. I am assuming (but have not checked) that FSUIPC will let you link them together and bind to a single axis, like it does the throttles.

As for the Eclipse, I liked it better than the Saitek "Pro Flight" yoke but in time I went off it. I think it got stiffer over time, which affected the pitch centring. There are a couple of reviews on my YouTube channel. I have moved on and now use a Yoko, which is quite a lot better :)

P.S. Don't buy the X-Plane Twin Otter, it's crap. I don't have experience of those other two (I think I bought the Kodiak but I never liked the glass cockpit). If you want an idiosyncratic turboprop for P3D, the FSD Turbine Toucan will make your eyes water!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this