Sign in to follow this  
Marius_S

No impact on GPU load with DSR?

Posted (edited)

I haven't used DSR before, but decided to experiment with it to see if could improve the look of the sim. I ran with 4xMSAA and 8xAF in P3D settings, and changed the DSR to 1,50x and 33%. Unfortunately, I did not see too much of an improvement, but the FPS took a hit as expected. The strange thing though is that GPU load (1070 GTX) did not seem change to much. I used the FSL A320 @UK200 EGLL which is one certain take a big hit on performance. With DSR off, the load of the GPU varied between 40 and 70%, while CPU load was at the top (4790k running at 4,2 Ghz) With DSR on, I observed more or less the same reading on GPU load. I thought this would stress the GPU more, or might the GPU handle the settings fine while the CPU is the limiting factor here?

I will be upgrading to the 8700k tomorrow, so it will be interesting to try the same scenario again and see how it looks then. 

EDIT: The native screen resolution is 1920x1080.

Edited by Marius_S

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I too do not understand the DSR feature of the Nvidia card. When I tried it in X-plane 11, I was able to change the monitor resolution from the native 1920 x 1080 to a 2100 something (4K) in the X-plane graphic page. Also on the Nvidia resolution setting I seem to remember being able to set a 4K resolution there too.

I only have a GTX 980 video card and do not think it could handle the simulated 4K output of the DSR program. That and I could not read the frame counter at the top of my 40" monito/TV as the print was barely readable with a magnifying glass. 

With the sim graphic setting at least 3/4 or higher in X-plane 11, I can fly at the native resolution without DSR at 30-50 FPS depending on the scenery complexity. My only problem is the jittery image and the lack of a decent distant visual image. For me DSR did not clear this up so I do not use it.

Hope you have better luck with your new system.

Terry

Well, I tried DSR with my new system. The performance was better, but I achieved better results and performance by using 4xSSAA instead. I'll stick with those settings until I invest in a better monitor sometimes in the future.