Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Would my performance tank if I add a 2nd monitor?

I currently fly in P3D v4.3 on a single 4K screen. I was considering adding a 2nd monitor perhaps 1920x1280 to run my EFB, Flight Planning apps on. Would this slow down the performance because my video card has to render more pixels?

I have a GTX 1080 FTW (8GB RAM), and running Windows 10 Pro with 32GB of system RAM.

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I have more or less the same configuration, and more or less the same question!

I suppose, that adding a second monitor will reduce performance to some degree. Would it reduce the gap in performance, if I install a second graphic card (perhaps a GTX 1060) for the second monitor?

Regards Arndt

Arndt Laube

P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5

Brunner CLS-E Yoke & Rudder, 2x Logitech Throttle, several GoFlight modules

Intel i7 9700K, 16 GB RAM, Geforce 1080Ti, monitors 3840 x 2160 and 1360 x 768

On my last couple systems, I have found that it does reduce performance when I use 2 monitors. How much will depend on the system. I have 2 2k monitors, and I unplug one of them and reboot before I fly.

Not to hijack this - I think this is still in the ballpark.

I'd like to add 1 4k monitor for P3D, but I want to keep my 2k monitors for work (like to have 2 identical monitors for data work). I'm running 1 GTX 980 right now and considering purchasing a 1080ti. Can I have both cards installed, 2k monitors connected to the 980 and the 4k connected to the 1080ti with only the 4k active when running P3D?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

In short no.  I run two 4K monitors with a modest 980ti gpu and no difference in frames with or without the second monitor.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."