Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Floating Houses

I know this is a common problem which goes back until FSX times. But it is still there. It happens mostly after a flying some time over demanding scenery. ORBX land is prone to this phenomenon but it happens also at other areas on airport approach. I am not sure, but airports with hills and mountains around seem to be more affected than flat land airports.

I am wondering if there is an explanation for this behavior and why LM does not address this issue. There is a cumbersome work-around by forcing the sim to reload the scenery but this is not what I like to do on landing approach. Does anyone know another way to avoid those floating houses. Just for information, It can happen with moderate autogen settings too. Mesh is set to 5m.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Can't give you an explantion for the cause - but can offer you 2 working solutions

1. Assign a key or button to the REFRESH_SCENERY Event.

2. Change camera view to "Nearest  Tower" and then back to "Virtual Cockpit" - buildings should have landed

Orbx PNW region is the worst offender I have found for this.

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

LM are aware of the issue, I can't say much beyond that.  But I agree it's NOT desirable and has been a problem since FSX.

In most cases it's a mesh issue that will trigger incorrect building height placement ... I noticed you have FS Global NG listed, what happens if you disable FS Global for that area?  Orbx setup their scenery to work best at 5m.  FS Global NG recommend 1m.

Cheers, Rob.

17 minutes ago, TonyD said:

1. Assign a key or button to the REFRESH_SCENERY Event.

I didn't know this was a thing, thanks for mentioning! Is this done on-the-fly (no pun intended) or does it trigger the usual load screen?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I read somewhere else:

" Floating buildings are the result of autogen loading on to a different mesh than what is displayed. I don't entirely understand it but I presume that a coarse mesh is loaded into the RAM, prior to the later mesh. In this case the autogen has been placed by the sim prior to the final mesh being set."

@ TonyD

Solution 1 does not work always. I will try your second suggestion.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

The issue I hate the most is when buildings are on relatively steep slopes. There is nothing worse than seeing 3D buildings "sticking out" of terrain, with one side floating in the air, and the other side buried underground. It looks absolutely rubbish. In cases like that, I always think that the "floating side" should have an added foundation that connects the front edge with the ground. Not a perfect solution, but better than one side of the building defying gravity.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

14 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

LM are aware of the issue, I can't say much beyond that.  But I agree it's NOT desirable and has been a problem since FSX.

In most cases it's a mesh issue that will trigger incorrect building height placement ... I noticed you have FS Global NG listed, what happens if you disable FS Global for that area?  Orbx setup their scenery to work best at 5m.  FS Global NG recommend 1m.

Cheers, Rob.

Good to hear that LM is aware of the issue. Hope they will find a solution. it happens at different places: Most recently at LOWI, KHQM, PAKT, ENBR, LEBL, .... Disabling add-on mesh seems not to be  the way to go

- Harry 

34 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Disabling add-on mesh seems not to be  the way to go

As a "solution" I agree it's not the way to go, but you may not have much choice right now IF you want a work-around.

I have brought this issue up with LM every single round of Beta starting with V2.0 ... it's obviously a more complex issue than meets the eye.  They have made attempts to reduce the problem but as we can see, given a non-default mesh (and even some default areas) the problem still remains.

In addition, there has been increased 3rd party developer requests to LM to get this issue resolved (along with houses sticking out from hill sides).  So this Mesh/floating buildings issue and PBR has certainly NOT been ignored by LM, can't really say more than that ... other than LM continue working on P3D.

Cheers, Rob.