Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

Networking Client and Server Problem After Windows Update

The issue started yesterday after Win10 was updated.  On PC1 (client) I have secondary programs that run and PC2 (server) houses the sim.  I realized I had network issues as I could no longer see PC2 on the network page of PC1 in Windows explorer yet PC2 does list itself and PC1 on its network page.  I tried rolling the Windows Update back, reset the network, reset the modem but that did not help.  In desperation I ran a Windows repair program that ran in safe mode and that did not help.

I am really at a loss here.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

I have solved the issue but I think only temporarily as a reboot may cause the server PC not to show on the Network page.  I hope this helps someone who may eventually have the same issue.

Here is what I did:

I went to System Properties (type Workgroup in the search window beside the start button), on Computer Name tab - renamed computer workgroup by clicking change.  I created a new Workgroup on both PC's with the same name.  I Followed the prompts and the computer rebooted.

Instructions are here, see option 1:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/36133-change-workgroup-windows-10-a.html

As you all know installing a program on the client and running it there is what most of us like to do, well in my case I could not browse to the server PC because it was not listed.  Here are the steps I found to fix the issue:

Resolution

Method 1: Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and start the Computer Browser service

To resolve this issue, make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is turned on and that the Computer Browser service is running on each computer in the workgroup. To do this, follow these steps.

Step 1: Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.
  2. Click Network Connections.
  3. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
  4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
  5. Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.
  6. Click the WINS tab.
  7. Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK two times.
  8. Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.
  9. Close the Network Connections window.

Step 2: Start the Computer Browser service

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
  2. Double-click Services and Applications.
  3. Double-click Services.
  4. On the right side, right-click Computer Browser, and then click Start.
  5. Close the Computer Management window.

Regards,

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Hi Robert,

All sorts of network changes recently (version 1803) without clearly informing users. Very annoying. A couple of recommendations I've read and use myself are as follows.

Windows key then type services

1. Function Discovery Provider Host - Make sure its set to run automatically (change and start the service if it is not).

2. Function Discovery Resource Publication - as above.

No ill effects and my home network listings populate accurately. I still notice the list is still slow to refresh some times.

Your tips above are also definitely on the money.

Cheers,

howevr

Same issue here.  Every fix so far was temporary, but, right now disabling IPv6 seems to be working for me.

Even though could not connect in Explorer WideFS was connecting, could ping each system . . .

Joe

Joe Lorenc

Microsoft connected me with Tier 2 support, they know what the issue is and are working on a fix for the coming update.  I have found that booting the sim (server) PC after the client also helps connect both to each other. 

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks for the update.

Had 3 Windows 10 systems on my desk earlier patched to 1803. Each system would not talk to the other units via name. Ping using name and IP address worked. Also connecting via IP address was OK. But connecting by name was a bust. Disabled IP6 on all 3 systems and everything worked. Good one Joe. Also had a small server running Win10 Pro that updated to 1803. After reboot staff could not connect to shares. The network had become "unidentified" and defaulted to the Public profile. This profile disables discovery and sharing. Get it back on the Private profile and it works again.

Cheers,

howevr

Its been driving me crazy. I've got about 50% chance that my 2nd pc can see my main pc, then it then involves a bit of messing around, turning sharing on/off turning, afew servies on /off and hopefully it will work after I reboot.

Who would of thought in 2018 Microsoft would manage to butcher the most basic of networking. There are networking issues all over the internet if you Google it