Sign in to follow this  
Holdit

What is your FS "career" path and where are you on it?

On 7/17/2018 at 8:15 AM, Holdit said:

Where are you at, how did you get there and where are you going?

I'm curious about the progression paths that virtual pilots choose for their virtual "careers". By this I mean what are you flying now vs what you started out with? Did you dive in at the deep end with a deeply-simulated tubeliner or progress from simple trainers to more complex aircraft and so on up the ladder? What learning resources did you use? Have you reached the "pinnacle" of your flying career or do you have other aircraft, projects or types of flying you'd like to try?

I am an FS instructor, I have had neighbors over and taught them how to fly, just the basics, VFR flight, handling of the throttle and flying on a stick, not a yoke since I took Light Sport lessons on an Allegro 2000, which had a stick.  Only aircraft with a yoke I ever flew was a vintage Ercoupe, sans rudder pedals, in Texas some years ago.  If I ever take up Light Sport again, I would not mind becoming a CFI or a trike CFI, since I have a special affinity for flying trikes, having last flown a trike out of Double Eagle airport in Albuquerque some years ago with a CFI in front.  A gust front came up and he had me help him steady the trike on the trapeze, he was very nervous until I added my strength to controlling the trike against the winds, he declared an emergency and we landed safely back at Double Eagle, later that day I took the gondola up Sandia peak, completing a wonderful day above Albuquerque.  

John

Started out with FS5, flying the 182 and Lear...I wasn't into the Sopwith Camel or the glider.  I got hold of some instrument flying books and taught myself how to fly some basic instruments like tracking VOR's and using an ILS.
Then I started playing Falcon 3.0 for awhile.  I also started to collect and fly all of the Janes titles as they came out.  All the while upgrading FS as the new versions were released.
Then I started flying for real in 2008.

Now I'm flying P3D, and I fly whatever.  Sometimes I'll fly the A2A Comanche to practice real world maneuvers before I go do them in the actual aircraft, sometimes after.  I like to use it to fly instrument approaches to keep me sharp.  Other times I may fly a warbird or airliner.  I never followed the real world progression theory.  I just want to have fun flying what I want, how I want, where I want

I started on FS2004 flying casually with default planes. Then I left simming for a long time. Growing up I did model railroading with my grandpa, which is super focused on realism in look and operations, and I got a big kick out of that. Being off on my own, married, and living in an apartment, I decided to return to flight simulator as a cheaper/space-appropriate hobby. Wanting to get into that same experience of realism, I bought the PMDG 737 and over time figured out how to work scenery add-ons and other tools like GSX. I used to fly for a virtual airline but found their schedule requirements too restrictive for my busy work schedule, and so now I just use projectFLY while continuing to simulate a professional airline pilot as much as possible. Hours-wise I'm still only a second officer.

Eventually, I want to own the entire modern Boeing family and fly various types of flights all over the world.

started with FS95 somewhere after fs98 i got my PPL continued till this day with FSX P3D MSflight DTFSW among other sims ,,, after my PPL i went as far as ATP did not like the airline thing and i now flight for a small joint here in the states with a samll fleet of private jets .back in 2005/2006 i owned a brand new Diamond DA20 and because of personal $$$$ reasons  i had to let go of that . now at 38 im looking for a my second airplane ........

Image removed as image is no longer available.