Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

Default (Carenado) Bonanza A36

You just told me the A36 is fuel injected, so it won't have a carb heat switch! It shouldn't be carb icing because there isn't a carb, but I already discussed in my previous post how that's an FSX/P3D issue and the fixes most developers have implemented.

In carb icing, the engine is effectively suffocating and there's a noticeable drop in RPM usually coupled with a drop in EGT as the engine is now rich of peak; you can confirm carb icing suspicion by leaning the mixture a little to see if that fixes the issue (this doesn't work in FSX/P3D iirc), then naturally you shove the carb heat on (always full, never partial!) and perhaps descend to warmer air like you described if you're in real trouble (but of course if the engine is going to die completely you then have less altitude through which to glide).

You wouldn't get that the leaning and EGT behaviour with prop icing alone since the engine is happy, and I can't conceive of a situation where you'd get prop icing without visible moisture, which in turn would lead to visible icing on the wing's leading edges (assuming they are also unprotected at the time). What you get with prop-icing is vibration and some engine roughness caused by propeller imbalance (again, the aircraft I have flown were not certified for flight in to known icing so they don't have de-ice equipment and I needed to get out of icing conditions pronto).

In short, if I had prop icing I'd get all the anti-ice on and consider descending, but if I had solely carb icing symptoms generally I'd just pop the carb heat on and then panic if it hadn't resolved after a few minutes; unless it's fuel injected then I'd probably be planning for complete engine failure since the intake is often heated (by oil or engine water cooling), my other thoughts would be fuel line icing, in either case yes I would typically descend.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

26 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

You just told me the A36 is fuel injected, so it won't have a carb heat switch! 

You must be joking since the whole discussion started because it was you who wrote: Typical Carenado, switch labelled prop de-ice is actually pitot heat!   and   I meant carb heat rather than pitot heat.

Okay I feel we need a little clarity here:

1) The sim aircraft suffers from carb icing although it shouldn't because it's fuel injected, this is a known FSX/P3D bug.

2) Carenado have repurposed the prop de-ice switch to provide carb heat, but they haven't relabelled it; this is confusing to users as carb heat is not the same feature and is not used at all the same times prop de-ice is (as discussed at length previously). In fact the only reason we know what the switch does is because some users pressed the H shortcut key and noticed the prop-deice switch moving. A simple relabelling of the switch would have fixed that, however...

3) Other payware developers of fuel injected aircraft seem to either program carb heat to come on automatically when required (essentially invisible to the user and easily done, I already posted XML code up for this) or remain on constantly and then adjust engine horsepower to account for this. A payware developer who isn't doing one of those two invisible solutions is doing shoddy work.

We can ignore my mention of pitot heat which was a mistake I didn't spot within the time window permitted for editing posts. I of course meant carb heat, as you are well aware.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

6 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

A simple relabelling of the switch would have fixed that, however…

So you want Carenado to relabel the prop de-ice switch to carb heat? Something the A36 doesn't have? Can you image how many Carenado/Alabeo bashers will immediately point out this 'basic error'? Sorry, but this discussion is going nowhere. I'm out.

No, I want Carenado to do what any half decent developer does, which I outlined above in point 3 and you willfully ignored; so at least we can agree this discussion is going nowhere.

I can't understand why you're so defensive of this/them, it's not like such a simple fix is beyond them or would affect the price point. It's hardly "bashing" pointing out such an oversight.

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg