Sign in to follow this  
Philipljung

Homecockpit

Hi, I’m a 14 year old boy from Norway. I have a plan to make a homecockpit in my garage, I already have the saitek pro flight yoke, saitek rudder pedals, saitek throttle and a bunch of monitors. I think it would be cool if I put one screen for each window in the cockpit, and one more for the nav display and the heading monitor. I’m also going to buy either saitek switch panel or saitek mcp. I am not sure if the mcp even can perform an autoland so I think I am going to go for switch panel. Does anyone know if you can auto land with the saitek switch panel, that would be greatly appreciated because that can be my cheap alternative to the goflight mcp. But here is my problems: who sells EFIS, overhead panels and where am I going to type in my squawk code and all that stuff? The most difficult part is that it I am going to struggle finding cheap parts because I’m only 14 years old and I don’t have a lot of money so any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

hardware is expensive no matter one's age or 'hood.... keep saving and/or trade one of the monitors for the mcp and/ or if you are flying boeings, well that's different !

for now, cheers

john martin

Yup i am flying Boeing’s, I think I am going’s to start with a chassi and add parts and maybe in a couple of years I have my own home cockpit. Unfortunately, my monitors is not up to date so I won’t get enough money for a mcp by selling monitors. I think I am going to save like you said and hopefully get a cockpit out of it. Thanks

Check here to get som inspiration.

http://www.flightsim4fun.com/index.html

Edited by roarkr

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

Hi

My advice for you on a limited budget would be to try and learn how to build cockpit items yourself. There is a lot information on the net, its really not that hard, and is very rewarding.

A simple start would be to buy something like a Pokeys 57U card (Google it). This USB card enables many switch inputs (particularly using  the matrix capability of the board), led outputs, rotary encoder and analog inputs.

Start with a few switches and get a few basic things working eg, Park Brake, and take it one step at a time learning as you go. Use painted MDF to make the panels. Then you can add hardware (switches, buttons etc.) as your budget allows

One important thing is selecting an aircraft with software that allows access to its variables (inputs, outputs etc.) This will depend also on which sim platform you are using. For Example: Xplane gives quite a lot of access to its default 737 variables and there are free programs like XHSI which will give you excellent 737 glass instruments that interface with it.

You can also check and join for example  the B767 Homebuilders group where there is a lot of free building information.

There is a learning process but I can assure you that you won't regret going this way.

Anyway this might give you some other options to explore

Good Luck with it

Ian  

Ian Cameron

Omg thank you so much Ian. I will do that and hopefully get something out of it, if this works, then its all credit to you! :D