Sign in to follow this  
pauly227

xplane 11 on steam no way

3 hours ago, jh71 said:

Someone here has no clue how the Steam service works... It puts itself on hold during a game, and there is hardly, if any, processing power required. Modern PCs are designed to run parallel tasks in an efficiently. The time where one thread would hold up the complete pc is long time ago. ... .

Yes, exactly. There are some options on the Settings page that could interfere, like allowing update downloads during gameplay, but I think those are off by default. Wouldn't hurt to check your Settings page to make sure all "in-game" activity is turned off. At minimal activity settings, there is zero impact on frame rates for a flight sim.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I had Trainsim on Steam, on my old system, and never had any complaints, although once Steam forgot my credentials and I had to email them, problem was solved quickly and courteously.  I was able to use Trainsim all the time offline.  Every year I received a free update, and the sim got better and better, it was too bad I lost it on my old system but now I have two flightsims, Xplane11 and P3DV4, and they occupy most of my entertainment and flight practice time.  For me I found Steam unobtrusive, downloads were fast, I found it just another tool that some developers use to deliver a product to their consumers.

John

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

What issue do you have during? 

15 hours ago, Andydigital said:

Why whats the issue, I've got over 100 processes running in the background according to task manager when I fly but I still get buttery smooth frame rates in X-Plane 11 most of the time. This isn't FSX or P3D where you need every morsel of spare processing power to even start getting stutter free FPS. 

10 hours ago, jh71 said:

Someone here has no clue how the Steam service works...

Guys, I've been using Steam for years and I know how it works, but if I have a choice between little to some additional CPU and memory overhead (XP11 on Steam) and no additional overhead at all (XP11 directly from LM), I'll take the latter option any day.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

14 hours ago, jh71 said:

... I prefer to buy directly from Laminar, because they get more of the money that way.

Agreed. Steam takes 30%.

Steam is great I bought xp10 and about 30 other titles through them no issues. I bought xp11 through laminar simply so I could get it early. I get being old school but not buying digital downloads is likeeping flying in a 2d cockpit or using ADF navigation in real world flying yea you can do it but why on earth would you.

Edited by z06z33

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.