Sign in to follow this  
stuartmorley

Error Message on New Install - Unable to create work files.

Just installed Prepare3D latest version this morning and it seems to fine. Realised there was no 737 (unlike X-Plane 11 I'm also using) and so, therefore, purchased PMDG.

Install worked fine and did the update.

Start P3D all starts fine and I can see the 737 aircraft, choose one and then start a flight and I get "Warning: the PMDG product was unable to create its work file. Please make sure that you are running Prepare3D as an administrator. Clicking Ok crashes the program.

Apologies in advance for being a newbie. I've only used XP11 (Sorry for swearing)  up until now but wanted to use ORBX (not installed yet). Tried a Google search and all the stuff is old and irrelevant). All version of software is as downloaded today so should be latest.

Any ideas welcomed.

Kind Regards

Stuart

Did you follow the advice to run the application with administrator rights?  This is not done automatically, you must do it.

Dan Downs KCRP

31 minutes ago, stuartmorley said:

I am logged in as the Admin though as there is only one user on the system.

Full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please, their rules not mine.

Being logged in as admin is not the same as running the application as admin.  Google run as admin and you'll get more help than you need.  By the way, you should also always run installers as admin, not just PMDG but any installer.

Dan Downs KCRP

6 hours ago, downscc said:

Full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please, their rules not mine.

Being logged in as admin is not the same as running the application as admin.  Google run as admin and you'll get more help than you need.  By the way, you should also always run installers as admin, not just PMDG but any installer.

Apologies, I thought my full name as my username was sufficient . Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks also for the advice for run as admin, I'm usually a Mac user so was unaware you could run as admin (you don't need to do this on a Mac) . I would have thought the install procedure would have mentioned this when you run it if it's not standard though.

Kind Regards

Stuart Morley

8 hours ago, stuartmorley said:

I would have thought the install procedure would have mentioned this when you run it if it's not standard though.

It is, actually. In the Intro Manual, under "GETTING FSX SET UP FOR THE PMDG 737NGX."

Always run FSX with the right click “Run as administrator option as described below:
Running FSX:

• Set FSX to “Run as administrator.” This will give FSX the best opportunity to use system resources effectively and without limitations. To do this, right click on the FSX icon, and then select properties. Click on the Advanced button, and then check the box that reads: Run as administrator. From this point onward, whenever you run FSX, the program will run under the administrator permissions group. (You can also follow these steps by right clicking directly on FSX.exe)
  • Do not let your antivirus software actively scan FSX: While we are all concerned about the prevention of malware, it is extremely important that you allow your FSX installation to “opt out” of being actively scanned for viral activity while the software is running. FSX loads thousands upon thousands of graphic files and models into memory while you are flying, and active malware scanning slows this process dramatically. In some cases active scanning can reduce your simulator performance by up to 75%. There are too many antivirus suites out there to make recommendations for each one, but if you search for “exclude” in your software’s help system, you will find instructions. Simply EXCLUDE your FSX root directory and you should be all set! Do not forget to manually run a malware scan on your FSX directory on occasion just to keep you safe!
  • Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

22 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

It is, actually. In the Intro Manual, under "GETTING FSX SET UP FOR THE PMDG 737NGX."

Always run FSX with the right click “Run as administrator option as described below:
Running FSX:

• Set FSX to “Run as administrator.” This will give FSX the best opportunity to use system resources effectively and without limitations. To do this, right click on the FSX icon, and then select properties. Click on the Advanced button, and then check the box that reads: Run as administrator. From this point onward, whenever you run FSX, the program will run under the administrator permissions group. (You can also follow these steps by right clicking directly on FSX.exe)
  • Do not let your antivirus software actively scan FSX: While we are all concerned about the prevention of malware, it is extremely important that you allow your FSX installation to “opt out” of being actively scanned for viral activity while the software is running. FSX loads thousands upon thousands of graphic files and models into memory while you are flying, and active malware scanning slows this process dramatically. In some cases active scanning can reduce your simulator performance by up to 75%. There are too many antivirus suites out there to make recommendations for each one, but if you search for “exclude” in your software’s help system, you will find instructions. Simply EXCLUDE your FSX root directory and you should be all set! Do not forget to manually run a malware scan on your FSX directory on occasion just to keep you safe!

Thanks for that. I'm from a Mac background where this isn't needed (although I started on the first IBM PC with twin floppy drives!) - Thanks for everyone's help.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:15 AM, downscc said:

By the way, you should also always run installers as admin, not just PMDG but any installer.

Don't do that. The UAC will ask you if required.

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

29 minutes ago, 30K said:

Don't do that. The UAC will ask you if required.

That is not true. Installer always need to run as administrator, right click the exe and run as administrator. Especially if the sim is installed in the default location

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

On 8/26/2018 at 5:54 PM, Olympic260 said:

That is not true. Installer always need to run as administrator, right click the exe and run as administrator. Especially if the sim is installed in the default location

In general, you should not run just ANY installer, on the net, as admin. Also windows logic prevents an installment in the c drive (generally speaking), when you run without admin rights. If you want to alter files etc. in this directory the UAC will ask.

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png