Sign in to follow this  
forshaw

GEX NA V2 or ORBX Global Base - Which to choose?

Hi Folks;

I want to purchase a scenery package for FSX and was wondering which one i should buy. Money is not the issue however my criteria is a little unique

• I prefer performance over looks. I am right on the edge with FPS and shuttering given what I already have on my system
    • I fly in and out of add-on airports only with PMDG 777 and iFLY 747 V2 (with that combination along you are already stating on the edge)
    •  AS16; REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds; ATC (always fly with it) 
  • With any level of cloudy weather and descending into a place like NYC and I am in the  teens with FPS with my Auto Gen density slider at "normal" I can't afford to further decrease my performance
  • I want something that's less problematic in terms of compatibility with DX10 which always used since the fixer came on the marker.
  • i mostly fly in the US but maybe once a month I do a long haul London (EGLL) but it's pretty much the US

I have seen both GEX NA v2 and ORBX pictures and the ORBX seem to have the edge over GEX;  but GEX  may have the edge in performance, which I would prefer if that's the case. Again I am not looking to make videos.

The reason I was leaning towards the GEX v2 is because one review stated that you can turn your auto gen sliders down since FSX is no longer generating the scenery and it uses the same texture size as the default. Should be the same for ORBX if they are good, but not sure.

The reason I am being so specific is because when Folks say that a product is great and fantastic, they never say what system they are running on and or what add-on they are using. Yes with no add-on and default or regular aircraft there would be no issue. 

I currently do not have any ground or terrain scenery installed just the Airports, which do tend to include about 1 Sq mile of scenery outside of the actual runways and terminal buildings.

So any suggestions/input based on your usage of any of those add-ons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw

Since you're flying tubeliners I don't think the ground scenery will make much difference. It's hard to see anything from FL35. If I had to make the choice I'd stay with the default scenery and concentrate on the airports, That said, I don't know about GEX, but FSX Global will have no effect on frame rates...........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, forshaw said:

I have seen both GEX NA v2 and ORBX pictures and the ORBX seem to have the edge over GEX;  but GEX  may have the edge in performance, which I would prefer if that's the case.

Both products replace the default FSX ground textures with new textures that are the same size resolution and compression. The only difference might be that they have slightly different autogen annotation, but very slight difference. Having said that, both should perform about the same because they both do the same thing. I’ve had GEX and Global installed and didn’t see any difference in performce but Global offers the 3D night lights with its autogen that GEX doesn’t have.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

Since you're flying tubeliners I don't think the ground scenery will make much difference. It's hard to see anything from FL35. If I had to make the choice I'd stay with the default scenery and concentrate on the airports, That said, I don't know about GEX, but FSX Global will have no effect on frame rates...........Doug

HI Doug;

Thanks for your response, you are absolutely correct 90% of all of my flight time is over Fl30 so I never see the scenery. I guess I will see it as i get victor in over the city towards the Airport. But does it worth the $90 or so just for that small time, I am still debating. That's the reason i never went with any scenery since I have been flying Flight Sim.My thinking was if I can turn all of my Auto Gen sliders very low then it may increase my FSX performance and then the scenery add-on will give me the nice scenery I will loose with the auto gen default. Believe me, if  I can run my auto gens and texture sliders high and get good performance I wouldn't buy the add-on scenery.  It always worked great at very dense and very high settings until I added the Aircraft and Weather textures etc..etc.

Maybe my theory is wrong about low settings for increased performance and the add-on to compensate for the textures you lose by low settings.

Thanks again but yes your point is correct.

Best Regards.

Forshaw.

1 hour ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Both products replace the default FSX ground textures with new textures that are the same size resolution and compression. The only difference might be that they have slightly different autogen annotation, but very slight difference. Having said that, both should perform about the same because they both do the same thing. I’ve had GEX and Global installed and didn’t see any difference in performce but Global offers the 3D night lights with its autogen that GEX doesn’t have.

Hi Cmpbellsjc;

Thanks very much for your clarification I wasn't quite sure if and how they may differ in any way. Didn't realize that GEX didn't also have 3D night lights. It will help as I figure out my decision.

Thanks again.

Forshaw.