Sign in to follow this  
mmcwill1

Carenado G1000 and Navigraph Expansion

I've only purchased one Carenado Expansion pack for the Citation S550, and I'm relatively happy with that purchase, but of course, that does not have a G1000 installed. With the release of the F1 Mustang, I bought that right away, but as noted, the G1000 does not support VNAV. I was wondering if any of you have purchased any Carenado G1000 Expansions (100/300 Phenom or PA46 Meridian) and are happy with that purchase. 

Thanks for the insight!

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

I have the Phenom 100 navigraph expansion. I enjoy it but there are bugs and omissions enough that it makes me look around for a better implementation. It is good enough to get you started into the big wide world of G1000 but the more you dig in the more issues you start to find. Also keep in mind that you cannot load a flightplan into the G1000 nor can you save one. You have to manually enter it every flight which can be a pain if there are reasons why you need to save a scenario with the G1000 state remembered for a later session. At one time the Phenom 100 framerate was considered pretty bad but now in P3D it seems to be one of the lighter business jets on fps with glass cockpit from what I read. Possibly because some of the details are not implemented both in the G1000 and flight dynamics of the aircraft which actually help with performance.

12 hours ago, mmcwill1 said:

I've only purchased one Carenado Expansion pack for the Citation S550, and I'm relatively happy with that purchase, but of course, that does not have a G1000 installed. With the release of the F1 Mustang, I bought that right away, but as noted, the G1000 does not support VNAV. I was wondering if any of you have purchased any Carenado G1000 Expansions (100/300 Phenom or PA46 Meridian) and are happy with that purchase. 

Thanks for the insight!

It may not support VNAV, which is a shame, but unlike every Carenado jet I have FLC actually works, and the AP never messes up on it. That said not much choice around at the moment (especially if you must have the G1000). Looking forward to the MilViz and Eaglesoft products in the pipeline though (PL21 based not G1000), even if they'll be a long wait...

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I have the Navigraph expansion for the Phenom 300. I am not pleased with the purchase. Upgrading to Navigraph capabilities means flight plans can no longer be automatically loaded into the G1000. You have to un-install the Navigraph expansion in order to be able to automatically load FSX/P3d flight plans.

This would not be such a problem if the interface for the G1000 were not buggy as hell, but it is. Many's the time I've been halfway through manually entering a flight plan when suddenly the knobs stop responding, or they start wildly cycling through all possible choices - i.e., I try to enter a position fix, and it suddenly starts scrolling through every navigation entry in its database, in order, very rapidly. The only way to stop it is to hit the clr button. The only way to continue entering the flight plan is to not continue entering the flight plan, reload the plane, and start from scratch.

Carenado put a lot of effort into making the textures beautiful and they did a great job, but unless you want to hand-fly it around the pattern (and who wants to do only that in a bizjet) or you're happy with unrealistic direct-to-destination-only navigation, you're going to get mad on a fairly regular basis if you have the Navigraph expansion.

Of course, you'll also be mad if you don't get the expansion and your shiny new bizjet won't work with current navigation data which means whatever plan you generate somewhere like Simbrief isn't going to translate right in that plane.

glider1 touched on the details in these planes, and that's the problem. Carenado doesn't do details, which is why Navigraph doubles the price of the plane and breaks it, and why the engine start sounds are non-existant (you go from a low hum to full-on, instantly, with no ramp up), and why 3 different light switches which are all labeled as three different things, for three different areas of the airplane all turn on the same dome light.