Sign in to follow this  
Hansaspeed

Having a Hard Time Choosing New Flight Sticks

On 9/13/2018 at 12:35 AM, Hansaspeed said:

What do you guys think I should do?

If you want the ultimate in immersion, you can't beat the MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick. Heavy, bomb-proof construction and excellent forces if you team it up with with FS Force software (default FSX/P3D forces are generally poor). No problems with sloppy centring as the motors hold it in position. With FS Force you even get things like "real" stick trim (you really trim out the stick forces with the trimmer) and all of the forces are fully customisable. No drivers required as it's plug and play with Windows 7 through to 10. You can usually pick up a good, low use example for well under $100 on eBay but make sure to get the FF2 and not the older FF Pro.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 9/13/2018 at 9:27 PM, TopGun33 said:

Hi! Here are my two cents :

About 3 years ago, I decided to bite the bullet and treat myself with a Warthog for Christmas. I was using a Saitek Yoke at that time and before that, a HOTAS Afterburner.

I mostly fly Boeing and Maddog aircraft so at first it seemed like a step away from realism. That's until the first time I plugged the thing and started to fly patterns. The wow factor was not only the sturdiness of the built : metallic, big, well just like a real thing ; it was also about the precision of the flight controls. It's like you've added an implant to your brain because the thing is so precise you never overcontrol again your aircraft, landings become dead precise, even with liners. The twin engine throttle is perfect for 737s. For example, entering reverse is not a lever that presses a button pressed in the sim, the actual axis once properly configured is a reverse axis, so that means you are able to control precisely what amount of reverse you want for landing. It adds a lot of realism to your operations.

And this, my friend, gives an uncomparable immersion to the sim. So getting a Warthog is a heavy investment, but it is one of the best hardware I have bought so far, worth every hard earned dime.

If you can afford it, it is a no brainer here.

I find this really interesting. I always fly either the 737 or 777 and have for years now used the Saitek yoke and throttles. Have a bit of time in a major airlines 737 sim I know how unrealistic the feel of the flight controls are (far too light and free floating). That said, I always thought moving to a ‘stick’ would be more unrealistic given the aircraft use a yoke.

how much heavier is the Warthog? Is it possible to get any element of force feedback in it? Where do you set your trim wheels? I presume the stick itself has buttons that are easy to flick?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

2 hours ago, KL Oo said:

I find this really interesting. I always fly either the 737 or 777 and have for years now used the Saitek yoke and throttles. Have a bit of time in a major airlines 737 sim I know how unrealistic the feel of the flight controls are (far too light and free floating). That said, I always thought moving to a ‘stick’ would be more unrealistic given the aircraft use a yoke.

how much heavier is the Warthog? Is it possible to get any element of force feedback in it? Where do you set your trim wheels? I presume the stick itself has buttons that are easy to flick?

I don't have the numbers but you could easily find them over the internet. The weight adds a lot of stability however I had to add some double sided tape to have the throttle not moving when entering reverse thrust. This is about the only moment it moves, unless you are crazy about aerobatics.

I am unsure about the force-fed back, there are however several mods for the Warthog among the internet, maybe you can find something that suits you. It may however be quite expensive, and it would require an update software, so I am really not sure about the feasibility anyway.

As for the trim wheel there are several buttons on the stick that I use for this matter, but also some axis on the throttle you could use as trim axis. I use one of them as a nose wheel tiller though.

There are so many buttons that I don't even have them all mapped, but I'm pretty sure you can find something that suits you in that matter. For example I have the red top button of the stick and the right side grey one as autopilot and auto throttle disconnect) and the bottom trigger as a radio transmission switch for when flying on IVAO. The switches are all well thought and reachable, but not so easy to press and flick because of the sturdiness.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

Thanks for the reply mate

you prefer the handling in airliners to the saitek yoke?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

On 9/23/2018 at 6:53 AM, KL Oo said:

Is it possible to get any element of force feedback in it?

Only fixed spring pressure. If you want force feedback, you have to get a powered unit with internal electric motors (like the MS FFB2 joystick).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 9/23/2018 at 10:33 AM, KL Oo said:

Thanks for the reply mate

you prefer the handling in airliners to the saitek yoke?

Yes definitely. Much more precise and realistic feeling. That's what I care about over the way it looks. Also it frees up space on the desktop lol.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.