Sign in to follow this  
BobKinSTL

FSX Crashes/Closes at FMS/Legs/Next Page

Issue:  FSX:SE crashing when I press Legs/Next Page during FMS setup.

Addons:  EZDok Camera.  ASN2016.  P2ATC.

Scenario:  Load state cold and dark.  Start Pilot 2 ATC, ASN2016, then FSX.  Create flight plan, start power up procedures in FSX.  Load route into FMS and after DEP/ARR information entered I go to legs page to check for disco's.  Upon pressing legs then next page the program crashes and closes.  Everything has worked for months without a hitch, have not changed anything.  Task Manager shows CPU and memory around 40% at time of crash.

Under Admin Events I find: Faulting application name: fsx.exe version...    Faulting module name:  PMDG 737NGX and other information. 

Warning:  Kernel-EventTracing.  "The backing file for the realtime sessioni DefenderApiLogger has reached is maximuin size.  This error is often caused by starting a trace session in real time mode without having any real time consumers.

Also under events:  Error - Distributed COM.  The application specific permission settings do not grant local activation permission for the COM server application with CLSID.

My system is as follows:

Intel Core i5-7500

Processor 3.40 GHz

INVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4-2133 RAM

1TB HDD + 250GB SSD

I hope all that means something to someone out there.  Thanks in advance!!

Bob

18 minutes ago, BobKinSTL said:

Faulting module name:  PMDG 737NGX and other information. 

This is a known error and there is no fix for it as explained in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  PMDG is aware of the issue but since it does not affect operations, it is not high on their list to fix.  It happens when you shutdown FSX-SE.  My recommendation is to check "Prompt on Exit" in the General FSX settings.

The other errors are not related to FSX.  The "backing-file for the real-time session "DefenderApiLogger" has reached its maximum size" is a Windows issue and possible solutions are listed in a Google search - https://www.google.com/search?q=The+backing+file+for+the+realtime+sessioni+DefenderApiLogger+has+reached+is+maximuin+size.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1.  The other error is also Windows related and I would leave that one alone.  I have it myself and it occurs immediately after you install Windows.  Microsoft is aware of the error but refuses to fix it as it is on almost everyone's Event Viewer.  Again, you can Google the error and see how to fix it (it will not fix it) but it is a waste of time.  It is doing no harm to your computer or the operation of your computer. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you, Jim.  Very kind of you to take the time to comment on all the points.  I uninstalled and then reinstalled PMDG and the problem seems to be resolved.  I will check "prompt on exit" and leave everything else alone. 

Regards,

Bob 

There have been a lot of freezes/crashes surrounding the PMDG 737 fmc.  I personally have never suffered one of these events but I always enter the departure/arrival information and then go to the DEP/ARR page and find the SID and Runway for departure then go immediately to the ARR page and selected the STAR and Runway (if known).  Then I go into the FMC legs page and look for discontinuities and fix those if found.  I then Activate and Execute the plan.  I then go to the Performance and other pages to finish up the plan. 

Here's a link I found where others were getting crashes programming the FMC -

I just did a search on the Internet for "pmdg 737 fmc freezes".  There is evidently something you are not doing right. 

The other thing is permissions and Windows 10 has been more than unaccommodating for those who do not install products with the proper permissions.  I always start up FSX and P3D with Administrative Privileges.  I could see a scenario where your sim is looking for something but it does not have permissions to see it or to retrieve the information so it freezes or crashes.  

Your problem is not a sim problem but an add-on problem (the PMDG 737) so I would do some searches as I suggested or go the the PMDG website and submit a trouble ticket.  They would need the exact procedure you went through to get the crash so they can try to replicate it. 

One thing you can try is to fly another flight plan and see if the error occurs with another plan or scenario.  It could be tied to just the current flight plan you are trying to use.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, thanks again for your comments.  A couple things, we seem to program our FMC's in the exact same order.  I'm not sure what I would "not be doing right".  I would agree if I was having the same problem all the time, but it is not consistent.  I went for months without an issue, then it started.  I deleted and reinstalled and it worked fine, for a while.  I also run FSX as administrator.  I have been in contact with PMDG and thought we had found a fix.  They recommended I delete the .sav files from the state panel folder.  I did so, restarted FSX and shut down the 737 to a cold and dark state then saved the panel state through the FMS.  This worked absolutely flawlessly for approximately 5 flight.  Now I'm back where I started, a CTD every time I go to the legs page to check for disco's and click next page to go to page 2.  Same problem with different airports/flight plan.  I would purchase P3D or X-Plane 11 if I was confident it would solve the issue.  Thanks again, I will check out the link you provided above.  

Do you have the autosaves in the FSUIPC enabled?  That causes many crashes and it is recommended it be turned off.

Submit News to AVSIM

I looked in the .ini file and don't see an autosave line.  Honestly, I'm not sure how to change any kind of settings in FSUIPC.  More Google searching......

BTW - PMDG suggests P3D v.4 is basically better at just about everything and very likely I would not experience the problem.  At $200 for the Pro license it's an expensive experiment.  

Not to wear out the forum but one thing I failed to mention.  I run EDdok and after shutting down FSX, with and without the prompt of "do you really want to quit" I get an EDdok message after about 30 seconds that says "invalid handle".  I click ok and it goes away.

There are many applications, including the PMDG 737, that will not shutdown properly in FSX (or P3D).  PMDG is aware of the problem but it is low on priority for fixing as the PMDG 737 otherwise flies great.  Shutting down and application requires a lot.  If it were just the application (FSX) shutting down, it should be immediate but FSX users usually have a lot of add-ons and each one has to shutdown.  Some do terminate immediately but I have seen many that do not close when FSX shuts down.  That's why I have my FSX and P3D set up to Prompt on Exit.  This action avoids all errors at shutdown.

Submit News to AVSIM

I also have mine set to prompt on exit.  Not a big deal to wait for EZdok to shut down, just trying to cover all bases with the issue I'm having.  I will go to addons within FSX and confirm that I do not have autosaves enabled in FSUIPC.  I'm about to take the plunge on P3D because at this point I deem FSX:SE with the PMDG 737NGX absolutely unusable.

Just to close the loop on this in case it might help someone else.  I found the solution to the "Legs/Next Page" crash to desktop issue.  It is called P3Dv4.  Other add-ons moved or upgraded from FSX:SE are PMDG 737NGX, EZDok (latest version), Active Sky for P3Dv4 and Pilot2ATC for P3Dv4 configured with FSUIPC 5.

I won't say it is mind blowing better than FSX:SE but I find FPS to ground textures and many other things to be much improved, and most importantly is just seems to want to run and work!

Intel Core i5-7500 Processor 3.40 GHz INVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM 1TB HDD + 250GB SSD