Sign in to follow this  
iMoveQuick

GPU Upgrade - 1070ti or wait for 1080

Hi there,

Just a Quick question regarding an GPU upgrade, since my r9 380 4GB is really struggeling with v4.

Is it worth upgrading to a 1070ti or wait for 1080? Since the 1070ti is 500€ on sale and a 1080 Goes for 200€+ (Dutch prices)

My specs atm :

MSI Z370 (If I'm correct) Motherboard

16GB ram

r9 380 4GB (about 3,5 years old)

i5 8600k overclocked to 4,7GHZ (recently upgraded)

Regards,

~iMoveQuick

Wait for a 1080? I don't get it, the 1080 is on market for more than two years now? Or do you mean: wait until you can afford a 1080? Honestly, for Prepar3d v4.x it will not make that much of a difference if you use a 1070Ti or a 1080, the difference per se is already only marginal. In both cases, it will be a big step forward compared to your aged AMD card. You might also simply wait some additional weeks until the 2080(Ti) series is available, it might result in lower prices of the 1070Ti or 1080, although I still doubt that this will happen.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It depends on your budget and personal needs.

If you want to run on 4k, you should use the 1080ti, if money is not an issue, and you want to run on 4k I would wait for the 2080ti.

If you run on 1980 (UHD) then the 1070 should be enough.

Regards,

S.

If I do upgrade within the next 2 weeks, will able to get better performance with more traffic and overcast/stormy conditions?

Since that's the problem I'm having now.

Both of them? Seem to recall that clouds are GPU. But I'm No expert.

DL is GPU?

and Run p3d in 1080p. But the upgrade is Not only for p3d. Also for other games.

Depends. Clouds are extremely heavy on the GPU if you use high antialiasing settings such as SSAA. So, for bad weather conditions with high antialiasing modes, yes, upgrading the GPU will help a lot.

AI traffic and road/ship traffic is almost completely CPU dependent. Of course, also for AI traffic you have Settings that are GPU dependent, such as antialiasing and dynamic lightning (as you guessed).

Dynamic Lightning is almost entirely GPU dependent, yes. But be aware: I currently use 4xSSAA with my 1080Ti, during day time, this works perfectly, in night time flying with DL, 4xSSAA brings down the FPS even on my 1080Ti and I use a preset with 4xMSAA instead. Might be that the novel 2080Ti will be fast enough for 4xSSAA in night time with DL, but I doubt.

Verdict: also with the fastest GPU you can buy nowadays you have to accept some levels of compromise regarding your P3D settings.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS