Sign in to follow this  
mikesingh

FSX Deluxe and FSX Steam on Same Computer

Hi guys!

I have FSX Deluxe installed on E drive on my computer. I'm buying FSX Steam as it has Acceleration too and I intend installing it on my D drive.

The questions are:

1. Can they both exist side by side on the same computer without conflicts?

2.Some addons like ORBX install automatically and thus would install to FSX and not FSX Steam. Is there any way around this problem? How would I get them to install to Steam instead?

Uninstalling the Deluxe version, well...that's not going to happen as I have tons of addons in there, some paid some freeware.  I ain't in the mood to risk losing them!! 😜

Mike

if you just want to use only vanilla version of fsx:se independently it will probably work.. it will install with registry entries for 'co-existence' mode ... until the problem starts when you want to install more addons...

some addon installers can handle the dual usage case, but in my experience most of them assume that you only have one or the other installed. a few will give you a choice but others will try to detect it from your registry setup, this leads to lots of fun with modifying registry entries and things like that to try and get them to play nice and install where you want. other older installers won't work at all be cause they don't detect the dual version, but they will work fine if you only have the steam version installed because the registry looks identical in that case..

having 2 installs also raises questions for you to decide, like do you want all future addons to go in the steam version or are you planning to integrate them to the original install..or both? do you have addons in the old version that you absolutely must use in the new version? if so you will likely have to reinstall them anyway...does the installer even include the ability to install to multiple locations? some apps like active sky you can do it but you have to go into the options and switch it back and forth every time you want to use it, things like that.

stuff like orbx i don't even think will support multiple installs, you might be able to fake it out by creating virtual file links from one scenery library to another and hacky stuff like that but you are basically just creating potential headaches..

unless you really enjoy messing around with registry and installation problems like that, i'd advise to just pick one or the other and stick with it..

and i would also add that the steam version is superior to the old ms versions in many ways, if you fly a lot i'd suggest it is worth the trouble to just dig up/re-download the installers for addons you want to keep from the old version before you switch, and then do a clean install.. even in that case it's recommended to do a really clean re-install or you will get the same problems with confused installers. there's a pretty good guide to how to make sure it's clean here:

https://fsxinsider.com/transitioning-from-boxed-fsx-to-fsxse-part-1-fsx-stripback/

https://fsxinsider.com/transitioning-from-boxed-fsx-to-fsxse-part-2-installing-fsxse/

good luck!

cheers,-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

Looking to the future when I get a new rig and move on from FSX, I was thinking of installing FSX:SE and P3Dv4 on the same computer. Would similar issues with addon installers be likely to arise with this combination?

Bill

No, they use totally different registry entries.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.