Sign in to follow this  
jt8d9a

Hurricane

I love the collection of such (small) military aircraft that you seem to be accumulating in your civil SIM...🙂...and, all with amazingly authentic textures too...(including this very one). I wish I could have them...

One of my favorite WWII stories was "Free As a Running Fox", about a former Hurricane Recon pilot, TD Calnan, who was shot down and a POW, and had many escape attempts while a POW.  His description of flying the Hurricane was so good, a fast recon aircraft that no German fighter could catch, instead he was brought down by flak.  He was hurt with burns and a broken leg, but the Germans took care of him in a French hospital, and the soldiers who captured him were very kind to him and gave him a cigarette holder so he could smoke even though his lips were burned.  With the Germans' care he eventually recovered full use of his leg, and his burns were later treated at the end of the war in Britain.   The Spitfire and Hurricane were good aircraft and helped save Britain.  My fav American aircraft were the P51 and P38.  Got to see both up close and personal at an airshow and I've seen both in fly bys as well.  Wish there was a good freeware P38 for P3DV4 or Xplane11.  I also liked the Mosquito as well.  Fav German aircraft in looks was the HE-111 although it obviously was on the wrong side.

Finally, I like the F86 and F16, followed by the F15.  Would love to see screenshots of those as well.  Favorite Russian aircraft, the Mig 15/17 which I have seen in flight (cannot recall whether it was the 15 or 17, it was a Red Bull livery).  I have been onboard a Russian airliner that flew in after the START treaty to a Travis airshow, but enough of hijacking your glorius screenshots.  If you want a good read, try to get the book I mentioned, you will not be able to put it down even though most of it takes place on the ground.  God bless the Germans that saved him, showing their chivalry, one of the reasons I still travel to Germany as recently as last year.

John

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jt8d9a said:

Thanks, downloaded it and love it in Xplane11, great flyer, throaty engine sounds, nice, crisp VC.....  Brings back memories of my up close and personal airshow visit.  Maybe one day I will see a Hurricane at an Air Show.  The big Copper State airshow in Arizona is moving to Buckeye and changing its dates, a great location much closer to my home and with less traffic to get there.  I hope to go there and get some pics for the forums in 2019.

John