Sign in to follow this  
jwf069

Problems converting 747-400 to 400D

Gday folks

Been converting a few 747-400s to 400D simply because im not a massive fan of winglets and liked the 300 series look.  I have had some success by using the same process as used with the default JAL and Nippon jets but for some reason on other liveries they dont work.. I get the aircraft showing up in the selection box in P3D but when I go to load it I get no visual model error and a blank patch with engine noises when loaded.. Ive gone through and checked model, textures, config, textures config, aircraft config to make sure the air file and models are right but just wont load it..Ive renamed them so not to conflict with the existing 400 models names etc. Is there something im missing ???  Some PMDG folder Ive negated to change??

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks

2 hours ago, jwf069 said:

Gday folks

Been converting a few 747-400s to 400D simply because im not a massive fan of winglets and liked the 300 series look.  I have had some success by using the same process as used with the default JAL and Nippon jets but for some reason on other liveries they dont work.. I get the aircraft showing up in the selection box in P3D but when I go to load it I get no visual model error and a blank patch with engine noises when loaded.. Ive gone through and checked model, textures, config, textures config, aircraft config to make sure the air file and models are right but just wont load it..Ive renamed them so not to conflict with the existing 400 models names etc. Is there something im missing ???  Some PMDG folder Ive negated to change??

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks

What do you mean converting? The D model has a dedicated paint kit and this should be used to create D liveries.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

I mean I took a 400 series, changed the wings too 400D and altered the other files to make it a 400D..

Is not the D model fuselage the same as the 400, so simply changing the wings and pointing the textures etc to 400D should and did make it work..

My problem is some dont and im trying to work out why... Ive had success with SIA, Cathay, Ansett, Qantas retro etc but others done exactly the same dont.. wondering why..

4 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

What do you mean you "altered the other files to make it a 400D."

I spelled it out above, Aircraft config,  texture config etc.. I'd post photos if I could..

Edited by jwf069

Yes..  I just did it then, took an Ansett 400 aircraft from the 400 folder, copied the texture file into the 400D folder, copied the aircraft.cfg to the 400D, added D to anything that said 400, made sure the engines referred to the correct engine model folder.  Copied the texture.cfg info from a D model into the Ansett's texture.cfg, loaded it up and it worked.. It does that but some aircraft it doesnt and Im trying to work out why. RR models dont work for some reason. PW and GE fine. 

I have now successfully converted 13 400's to 400D, comprising 12 GE, 1 PW zero RR.  Of those some were RR originally which I changed to GE. Your reply above confirms my findings.  Im guessing then that PMDG did not create a 400D model with RR otherwise my conversions would have worked. I was about to google the 400D to see what engines were used but your reply confirms it.

The qots v3 has all models with realistic engine variants. So you won’t find an RR variant.

1 hour ago, jwf069 said:

PMDG guy,  is it correct PMDG didnt do a 400D model with RR's only PW and GE  ???

The D has the engines it had in real life. Also with the way you are doing it there is a chance to have further issues down the road. The proper way would be to use the paint kit and create the liveries you wanted 

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

2 hours ago, jwf069 said:

PMDG guy,  is it correct PMDG didnt do a 400D model with RR's only PW and GE  ???

Where are you even looking. I looked at the aircraft folder and only see General Electric engines. You are aware that only two airlines operated the type, right?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Im gonna call this case closed.. We've established only GE/PW for the 400D.    For the record I cannot paint.. so I tinker.

Kevin did you even read my reply ???   See below..         Yes I get GE only... but I got a PW working too.

16 hours ago, jwf069 said:

I have now successfully converted 13 400's to 400D, comprising 12 GE, 1 PW zero RR.  Of those some were RR originally which I changed to GE. Your reply above confirms my findings.  Im guessing then that PMDG did not create a 400D model with RR otherwise my conversions would have worked. I was about to google the 400D to see what engines were used but your reply confirms it.

Thanks for responding..

My question is HOW did you manage to get a Pratt & Whitney model to work. I did see your reply, but it makes no sense whatsoever. I'm looking at the PMDG 747-400D folder, and I only see General Electric engines, that's why I'm asking.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.