Sign in to follow this  
iwebber

AI Over London

While on my lengthy Etihad Dreamliner flight from KIAD to OMAA my route took me overhead London. Shorlty after departure I went to bed as a) it was dark and there was nothing to see and b) it was late. When I woke up in the morning we were approaching Ireland and the sun was rising.

uc?id=1Oul5CKScKb3vKTVp93DIGuR19AlBqFdE
First up was an El Al jumbo on it's way from the US to Tel Aviv

uc?id=1wc38dR92zwDCuc_hbL1dyj4J6Zy6HUyk
It Smeeeeee!

uc?id=1iIUqA6X6pJMVl0JF08XwZsan4aYhrGkf
La Compagnie 757, not many of these about, probably returning from the East Coast to Paris

uc?id=16ka1tp376bSZ0Kw41mvC2M6W9G1b8wB5
Definitely over Ireland now...

uc?id=19_wWwEAGp3B6xemjAMd_d1L9TAU_-Ikp
Wow, don't know whether this is a glitch in my AI setup or those guys over at the MilitaryAIWorks have done an amazing job with the C17 plans. Either way, a tight formation of US C17s on their way back home...

uc?id=1s9ZjaCTBG1Ywc0H0RwsHiAgP2ndCFUqi
Local traffic with a little Canadian in the background.

uc?id=1_fEJctOdcogi-TrYL4OGEQEqaNIolSSt
Nice view of the Isle of Wight...

uc?id=1g7sFzrHnhfoGcX00OT1apVpVeRVZ3_oE
uc?id=16U_ud0BNY-mHPF1EQEk2NXCHUaRpUiay
A Gulfstream approaching Farnborough, looks a bit high to me but I always underestimate those AI pilots (and their super strength landing gear).

uc?id=1bzdy_HNcsQqURXbFWGl_ehJ4DYhUzBr7
Another local approaching Heathrow from the north... from the North? how can you tell? well... the weather's rubbish.

uc?id=1FZq2tmSHKnQKwhYrcT3jTXC3GvmPWe8v
Sunair Dornier 328 Jet (not many of these around either) over the South Coast.

uc?id=1OFacghpmqOd8X9O0dowHg2AXlxYNccLy
Aurigny ATR making it's way down to the Channel Islands.

uc?id=1Vtys0k485F1oc0vpEw_eU1HiVuzj43_2
The real reason I wanted to make this post. While browsing Super Traffic Board for any interesting AI traffic I noticed a few entries for a Spitfire!!??? I recall the RealAir Spitfire came with an AI model, some retro scenery of West Malling and some AI plans. I share my FSX and P3Dv4 AI setup so here they are in all their glory. It's not very realistic, West Malling was turned into a housing estate.

uc?id=14IDY48UR9_Aj-I_VtGfvGjWX_omAbcGn
On approach to West Malling where, in it's less residential moments, it was home to Spitfires, Mosquitos, Vampires, Meteors, Mustangs, Hurricanes, Beaufighters and Typhoons (the first one's, not the most recent).

uc?id=1gVKHyTml8D-1EPhQ2VuFHh14rlBzzauz
P3D doing a good job of rendering the rolling green hills of Kent (all while I fly overhead in an airliner)

uc?id=12myH4tIAmUApYcNP7q2BkFdwblm3eXKo
Very short final

uc?id=18pmE4-0QuOpQVXQPsZ-yR4xJuv_QjJUF
Touchdown! I take back what I said about the AI pilots, they were doing a really nice job handling these Spits, probably more due to do with the extremely well tuned flight model but there we go, it looked good.

uc?id=1X2qcfrXNT0X6AV4g1B6xxUBMhRwFUzQR
For reasons I never established they started landing and taking off from different ends of the runway, somehow managing not to crash into each other (that I noticed).

uc?id=1B5GhxTmWqNOy1YU0OBTZDq4CJe7ZeSEm
Turning crosswind...

uc?id=1b9dP75I4jP8NI9R2YOvQRiUg4hElVzxT
Leaving the UK now with the busy port of Dover beneath us and the delights of Dungeness Nuclear Power Station and Beachy Head in the background.

I was amazed that P3D didn't bat an eyelid while my viewpoint danced around all these aircraft as I flew overhead, I'd never dare do that in FSX. Orbx Global made Kent look like the Garden of England it really is (I can't imagine how much better Orbx England would make it look) and as we left the UK on our way to the Middle East I was really glad I invest all that time, money and energy in sorting out my AI setup (and Super Traffic Board which made finding them all so easy).

Back to A340s now....

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Very cool series... we don't see nearly enough AI in the Screenshots, they are very often astounding (John Young's military modelling springs to mind but he is not alone).

And they add so much to the sim.
Nice post.